Re: taglist - display file b4 updating the list

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hello,

      --- "Mistry, Pritesh (Pritesh)" <mpritesh@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have been using taglist for quite some time now. One thing that I have
      > noticed is that if the file I jump to has a handful of tags (typically
      > running into a few thousands - eg. winuser.h), it takes a few seconds before
      > the control is returned & that file itself is opened.
      >
      > Is there any way that we can first open that file & then update the taglist
      > window so that we can atleast continue with viewing what we wanted to?

      Vim supports only sequential processing. So it is not possible to
      edit a file and at the same time execute a plugin in the background.
      You can do only one at a time. In this case, you can start editing
      a file only after the taglist plugin finishes processing the tags.

      The text processing from a Vim plugin is slow. If a tags file contains
      thousands of entries, it will take several seconds to minutes for
      the taglist plugin to process all of them.

      The taglist plugin caches the processed tags output. So the tags file
      is processed only once for a file. So you should see the delay only
      when a file is first loaded or when you update the taglist window
      explicitly.

      - Yegappan

    • Mistry, Pritesh (Pritesh)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi,

        That's right, it's just the first time, that it takes some time. Ofcourse, it's not close to a problem in any case. I also realized that I was using a very old version (1.92) & updating it helped too, to some extent.

        - Pritesh