RE: How to increase the height of the command line

  • Patrick Williamson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
      this is along the lines of a feature that is in Vi but not in Vim (on winxp, anyway).

      if, in 'vi', you press 'Q', you get a command-line that doesn't disappear when you type your next command. so, for example, you can type Qf<return> (to list the filename), or Qls<return> to list all files in current directory, and then continue typing commands (whilst retaining the command output), until typing "vi" to return to normal mode.

      is there a way of achieving this in 'vim'?

      TIA

      Patrick

      *************************Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*************************
      Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not
      the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to
      such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you
      should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does
      not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately.
      Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
      or endorsed by my firm or employer, unless otherwise indicated by an authorised
      representative independent of this message. This Email has been scanned for viruses
      by eSafe Protect Gateway.
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        Patrick Williamson wrote:

        > this is along the lines of a feature that is in Vi but not in Vim (on
        > winxp, anyway).
        >
        > if, in 'vi', you press 'Q', you get a command-line that doesn't
        > disappear when you type your next command. so, for example, you can
        > type Qf<return> (to list the filename), or Qls<return> to list all
        > files in current directory, and then continue typing commands (whilst
        > retaining the command output), until typing "vi" to return to normal
        > mode.
        >
        > is there a way of achieving this in 'vim'?

        Vim does this already. But some people have mapped "Q" to "gq" (myself
        included), because older versions of Vim used "Q" for formatting.
        Check your vimrc file(s) for a Q mapping.

        --
        Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

      • Lukas Ruf
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
          > Naveen Chandra <Naveen.Chandra@...> [2003-11-03 13:27]:
          >

          > >how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
          > >do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports
          > >the current line.
          >
          > see :h 'ch'

          thanks. it helped somehow in the sense that
          - if the command-line is empty or contains only one line of text,
          I do not have to hit ENTER
          - if it contains already to lines of text, I still get the request for
          ENTER.

          This, is there any command to clear the command-line window?

          wbr,
          Lukas
          --
          Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
          <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
            Lukas Ruf <ruf@...> wrote:
            > Dear all
            >
            > how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
            > do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports the
            > current line.
            >
            > wbr,
            > Lukas
            > --
            > Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
            > <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |

            see
            :help 'cmdheight'

            HTH,
            Tony.
          • Klaus Bosau
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
              On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Lukas Ruf wrote:
              >> Naveen Chandra <Naveen.Chandra@...> [2003-11-03 13:27]:
              >>
              >>> how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is:
              >>> I do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports
              >>> the current line.
              >>
              >> see :h 'ch'
              >
              > thanks. it helped somehow in the sense that
              > - if the command-line is empty or contains only one line of text, I do
              > not have to hit ENTER
              > - if it contains already to lines of text, I still get the request for
              > ENTER.
              >
              > This, is there any command to clear the command-line window?

              There's an item (at least for Vim 6.2) devoted to topics of this sort.
              See ":h hit-enter"..

              HTH

              Klaus