How to increase the height of the command line

  • Lukas Ruf
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
      Dear all

      how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
      do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports the
      current line.

      wbr,
      Lukas
      --
      Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
      <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        > how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
        > do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports the
        > current line.

        see :h 'ch'

        hth
        -ncr

        --
        Naveen Chandra R.
        Vim Page: http://www.geocities.com/ncr_10/vim.html
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
          this is along the lines of a feature that is in Vi but not in Vim (on winxp, anyway).

          if, in 'vi', you press 'Q', you get a command-line that doesn't disappear when you type your next command. so, for example, you can type Qf<return> (to list the filename), or Qls<return> to list all files in current directory, and then continue typing commands (whilst retaining the command output), until typing "vi" to return to normal mode.

          is there a way of achieving this in 'vim'?

          TIA

          Patrick

          *************************Internet Email Confidentiality Footer*************************
          Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not
          the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to
          such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you
          should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does
          not consent to Internet email messages of this kind, please advise us immediately.
          Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given
          or endorsed by my firm or employer, unless otherwise indicated by an authorised
          representative independent of this message. This Email has been scanned for viruses
          by eSafe Protect Gateway.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
            Patrick Williamson wrote:

            > this is along the lines of a feature that is in Vi but not in Vim (on
            > winxp, anyway).
            >
            > if, in 'vi', you press 'Q', you get a command-line that doesn't
            > disappear when you type your next command. so, for example, you can
            > type Qf<return> (to list the filename), or Qls<return> to list all
            > files in current directory, and then continue typing commands (whilst
            > retaining the command output), until typing "vi" to return to normal
            > mode.
            >
            > is there a way of achieving this in 'vim'?

            Vim does this already. But some people have mapped "Q" to "gq" (myself
            included), because older versions of Vim used "Q" for formatting.
            Check your vimrc file(s) for a Q mapping.

            --
            Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

          • Lukas Ruf
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
              > Naveen Chandra <Naveen.Chandra@...> [2003-11-03 13:27]:
              >

              > >how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
              > >do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports
              > >the current line.
              >
              > see :h 'ch'

              thanks. it helped somehow in the sense that
              - if the command-line is empty or contains only one line of text,
              I do not have to hit ENTER
              - if it contains already to lines of text, I still get the request for
              ENTER.

              This, is there any command to clear the command-line window?

              wbr,
              Lukas
              --
              Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
              <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |
            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                Lukas Ruf <ruf@...> wrote:
                > Dear all
                >
                > how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is: I
                > do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports the
                > current line.
                >
                > wbr,
                > Lukas
                > --
                > Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
                > <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |

                see
                :help 'cmdheight'

                HTH,
                Tony.
              • Klaus Bosau
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                  On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Lukas Ruf wrote:
                  >> Naveen Chandra <Naveen.Chandra@...> [2003-11-03 13:27]:
                  >>
                  >>> how can I specify the height of the command line? The reason is:
                  >>> I do not want to press ENTER after executing a command that reports
                  >>> the current line.
                  >>
                  >> see :h 'ch'
                  >
                  > thanks. it helped somehow in the sense that
                  > - if the command-line is empty or contains only one line of text, I do
                  > not have to hit ENTER
                  > - if it contains already to lines of text, I still get the request for
                  > ENTER.
                  >
                  > This, is there any command to clear the command-line window?

                  There's an item (at least for Vim 6.2) devoted to topics of this sort.
                  See ":h hit-enter"..

                  HTH

                  Klaus