Re: Errors Compiling Python-Interp

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
      * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [031102 03:41]:
      Bram, Benji:
      I have made a fresh extraction, applied
      patches 1 thru 144.
      The following modifications were made:
      ~/downloads/vim62/src/makefile:
      line 363
      CONF_OPT_PYTHON = --enable-pythoninterp # uncommented
      line 423
      CONF_OPT_FEAT = --with-features=huge # uncommented
      ~/downloads/vim62/src/feature.h:
      line 52
      #define FEAT_HUGE # uncommented
      # and the entire install directory backed up.
      These were as per Benji's instructions
      * as I understand them. *. From Benji's previous email,
      he also suggest using "make reconfig" and I will assume
      that should be run from /src.

      > You probably have to reinstall Python.
      >
      > Those paths is where this version of Python was compiled. You are
      > getting messages for internal Python errors.
      I'm not clear about the comment above: Benji says in his email:
      >> From Bram's response on the list, it looks as though
      >> "make install" in your Python
      >> directory is more likely to help, though.

      Do I understand that I may have to re-install python 2.2.2?
      TO NOTE: this python was auto-installed as part of the
      RH 9.0 installation. Where do I look for source code?
      And may I be able to just run "make install" as per
      the install above?

      Will try the make approach using Benji's suggestions
      after worship today.

      Thanks to Bram and Benji
      tim

      --
      Tim Johnson <tim@...>
    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
        * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [031102 03:41]:
        Hi Bram:
        Success.
        My follow-up is for archives. When I originally
        Googled this topic, I found little

        > You probably have to reinstall Python.
        errors were being generated because the vim compile
        process was looking for a non-existent path 'parallel'
        to the directory path in which vim was being compileed

        > Those paths is where this version of Python was compiled. You are
        > getting messages for internal Python errors.

        Before upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 9.0, I had installed python2.2,
        and had done so from a compile (not RPM).

        I made a new copy of the the python-2.2.2 install directory.
        I first ran make (without 'install'). Went back to vim, ran
        "make reconfig", still with the errors, I then ran
        "make install" for python, and the vim "make reconfig"
        was successful.

        Thanks for the help. I would welcome a little more explanation
        of the process *or* pointers to documentation on this.

        If there is none, I would be happy to contribute documenation,
        if necessary. I plan to investigate using perl-interp some
        time in the future as well, so it helps me in the long run....

        Regards, and thanks again
        tim

        --
        Tim Johnson <tim@...>
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
          Tim Johnson wrote:

          > Before upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 9.0, I had installed python2.2,
          > and had done so from a compile (not RPM).
          >
          > I made a new copy of the the python-2.2.2 install directory.
          > I first ran make (without 'install'). Went back to vim, ran
          > "make reconfig", still with the errors, I then ran
          > "make install" for python, and the vim "make reconfig"
          > was successful.

          I'm glad you could solve the problem.

          > Thanks for the help. I would welcome a little more explanation
          > of the process *or* pointers to documentation on this.
          >
          > If there is none, I would be happy to contribute documenation,
          > if necessary. I plan to investigate using perl-interp some
          > time in the future as well, so it helps me in the long run....

          There is not much to document. When Vim's configure runs it obtains
          info about the Python library from the Python installation. If your
          Python installation is somehow incomplete or broken, Vim will find wrong
          information and it won't work.

          --
          Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath
          each week -- on Saturday night.