VIMRC Initialization Sequence

  • Jerry Lam
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      I'm interested in understanding how VIM initializes. I downloaded the
      vimconfig package and has it properly setup. However, I'm curious on how it
      works. Let say, right now my .vimrc is pointed to the new .vimrc in
      vimconfig by symlink. However, I don't understand why VIM still be able to
      locate the share vim directory /usr/share/vim/vim62 and also it is able to
      load all scripts in the new directory. I'm just curious about the sequence
      how VIM goes to each file and how it understand the directory structure and
      execute the script in that sequence.

      Thanks for your advice!

      Jerry
    • David Reviejo
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
        * Jerry Lam <booksforsale4a@...> [031102 21:20]:
        > I'm interested in understanding how VIM initializes. I downloaded the
        > vimconfig package and has it properly setup. However, I'm curious on how it
        > works. Let say, right now my .vimrc is pointed to the new .vimrc in
        > vimconfig by symlink. However, I don't understand why VIM still be able to
        > locate the share vim directory /usr/share/vim/vim62 and also it is able to
        > load all scripts in the new directory. I'm just curious about the sequence
        > how VIM goes to each file and how it understand the directory structure and
        > execute the script in that sequence.

        See
        :h initialization

        --
        David
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2003
          Jerry Lam <booksforsale4a@...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm interested in understanding how VIM initializes. I downloaded the
          > vimconfig package and has it properly setup. However, I'm curious on
          > how it works. Let say, right now my .vimrc is pointed to the new
          > .vimrc in vimconfig by symlink. However, I don't understand why VIM
          > still be able to locate the share vim directory /usr/share/vim/vim62
          > and also it is able to load all scripts in the new directory. I'm
          > just curious about the sequence how VIM goes to each file and how it
          > understand the directory structure and execute the script in that
          > sequence.
          >
          > Thanks for your advice!
          >
          > Jerry

          see
          :help startup
          :help $VIM
          :help $VIMRUNTIME
          :version

          (The output of ":version" includes a list of standard locations for some
          configuration files).