Re: inserting line numbers programmatically

  • David Rock
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-11-01 22:50]:
      > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:55:34PM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
      > > the lines become prefixed with:
      > >
      > > LINE1
      > > LINE2
      > > LINE3
      > > LINE4
      > > LINE5
      > >
      > > Is this possible with vim? I know there are commands starting with q used
      > > to record other commands but I am not sure whether it is possible to make
      > > reference to a counter initialized to one and increment the counter from
      > > within vim so as to produce the above effect.
      >
      > :%s/^/\= "LINE" . line(".")
      >
      > :help sub-replace-special
      >
      > There are also several scripts that make this sort of thing easier and
      > more flexible. I have not tried them myself, but a search for scripts
      > with the keyword "number"
      >
      > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script_search_results.php?keywords=number&script_type=&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search
      >
      > shows increment.vim and visincr.vim among others.

      Here is a link to another thread that is related to doing this. It's
      from earlier posts to this list:

      David Rock
      david@...
    • Charles E. Campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
        On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:55:34PM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:
        > I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
        > the lines become prefixed with:
        > LINE1
        > LINE2
        > LINE3

        One may use

        :he nu

        to see line numbers (they're not actually made part of the file)
        or you could use <visincr.vim> for this.

        -or- http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs
        as "Visual Incrementing".

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell