Errors Compiling Python-Interp

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello All:
      I'm attempting to compile vim6.2 with the python interpreter
      on RH 9.0
      vim compiles and links without complaint with a
      standard make configuration.

      When configured as follows
      ./configure --enable-pythoninterp
      Compiling fails. Error messages are numerous, but
      the following snippet may prove to be enlightening.
      /usr/local/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a(intobject.o)(.text+0x106):
      In function `PyInt_FromString':
      /home/tim/downloads/Python-2.2.2/Objects/intobject.c:196: undefined
      reference to `__ctype_b'

      What is of peculiar note is that there is no path
      /home/tim/downloads/Python-2.2.2/ ..... references to
      this path are included among most of the error messages.

      I would appreciate some help and insights here. I've been
      using pythoninterp with previous vims and it's become a
      important part of my programming venue....

      TIA
      Tim
      --
      Tim Johnson <tim@...>
    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
        * Tim Johnson <tim@...> [031101 16:38]:
        To add to what I've posted below:
        The following configuration also fails, and with
        similar error messages:
        /configure --with-features=big --enable-pythoninterp
        --with-python-config-dir=/usr/local/lib/python2.2/config
        this was the method proposed by Martin Karlsson
        to me at an earlier time and worked on the previos
        version (6.0, I think)
        Unfortunately :h python does not touch on the topic
        of compiling as far as I can see. :-(
        tj

        --
        Tim Johnson <tim@...>
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
          My version of vim (on RH 8.0) has +python and "huge" features.
          Instead of running configure myself, I uncomment the
          --enable-pythoninterp line in vim62/src/Makefile . I suggest trying
          that, and then "make reconfig" . Probably more important is the patch
          level: mine is 6.2.128 . How many of the official patches have you
          applied?

          HTH --Benji Fisher

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
            Tim Johnson wrote:

            > I'm attempting to compile vim6.2 with the python interpreter
            > on RH 9.0
            > vim compiles and links without complaint with a
            > standard make configuration.
            >
            > When configured as follows
            > ./configure --enable-pythoninterp
            > Compiling fails. Error messages are numerous, but
            > the following snippet may prove to be enlightening.
            > #####################################################
            > /usr/local/lib/python2.2/config/libpython2.2.a(intobject.o)(.text+0x106):
            > In function `PyInt_FromString':
            > /home/tim/downloads/Python-2.2.2/Objects/intobject.c:196: undefined
            > reference to `__ctype_b'
            > #####################################################
            >
            > What is of peculiar note is that there is no path
            > /home/tim/downloads/Python-2.2.2/ ..... references to
            > this path are included among most of the error messages.
            >
            > I would appreciate some help and insights here. I've been
            > using pythoninterp with previous vims and it's become a
            > important part of my programming venue....

            You probably have to reinstall Python.

            Those paths is where this version of Python was compiled. You are
            getting messages for internal Python errors.

            --
            Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
            Because they taste funny.

          • Tim Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
              * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [031102 03:41]:
              Bram, Benji:
              I have made a fresh extraction, applied
              patches 1 thru 144.
              The following modifications were made:
              ~/downloads/vim62/src/makefile:
              line 363
              CONF_OPT_PYTHON = --enable-pythoninterp # uncommented
              line 423
              CONF_OPT_FEAT = --with-features=huge # uncommented
              ~/downloads/vim62/src/feature.h:
              line 52
              #define FEAT_HUGE # uncommented
              # and the entire install directory backed up.
              These were as per Benji's instructions
              * as I understand them. *. From Benji's previous email,
              he also suggest using "make reconfig" and I will assume
              that should be run from /src.

              > You probably have to reinstall Python.
              >
              > Those paths is where this version of Python was compiled. You are
              > getting messages for internal Python errors.
              I'm not clear about the comment above: Benji says in his email:
              >> From Bram's response on the list, it looks as though
              >> "make install" in your Python
              >> directory is more likely to help, though.

              Do I understand that I may have to re-install python 2.2.2?
              TO NOTE: this python was auto-installed as part of the
              RH 9.0 installation. Where do I look for source code?
              And may I be able to just run "make install" as per
              the install above?

              Will try the make approach using Benji's suggestions
              after worship today.

              Thanks to Bram and Benji
              tim

              --
              Tim Johnson <tim@...>
            • Tim Johnson
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
                * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [031102 03:41]:
                Hi Bram:
                Success.
                My follow-up is for archives. When I originally
                Googled this topic, I found little

                > You probably have to reinstall Python.
                errors were being generated because the vim compile
                process was looking for a non-existent path 'parallel'
                to the directory path in which vim was being compileed

                > Those paths is where this version of Python was compiled. You are
                > getting messages for internal Python errors.

                Before upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 9.0, I had installed python2.2,
                and had done so from a compile (not RPM).

                I made a new copy of the the python-2.2.2 install directory.
                I first ran make (without 'install'). Went back to vim, ran
                "make reconfig", still with the errors, I then ran
                "make install" for python, and the vim "make reconfig"
                was successful.

                Thanks for the help. I would welcome a little more explanation
                of the process *or* pointers to documentation on this.

                If there is none, I would be happy to contribute documenation,
                if necessary. I plan to investigate using perl-interp some
                time in the future as well, so it helps me in the long run....

                Regards, and thanks again
                tim

                --
                Tim Johnson <tim@...>
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Tim Johnson wrote:

                  > Before upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 9.0, I had installed python2.2,
                  > and had done so from a compile (not RPM).
                  >
                  > I made a new copy of the the python-2.2.2 install directory.
                  > I first ran make (without 'install'). Went back to vim, ran
                  > "make reconfig", still with the errors, I then ran
                  > "make install" for python, and the vim "make reconfig"
                  > was successful.

                  I'm glad you could solve the problem.

                  > Thanks for the help. I would welcome a little more explanation
                  > of the process *or* pointers to documentation on this.
                  >
                  > If there is none, I would be happy to contribute documenation,
                  > if necessary. I plan to investigate using perl-interp some
                  > time in the future as well, so it helps me in the long run....

                  There is not much to document. When Vim's configure runs it obtains
                  info about the Python library from the Python installation. If your
                  Python installation is somehow incomplete or broken, Vim will find wrong
                  information and it won't work.

                  --
                  Lawmakers made it obligatory for everybody to take at least one bath
                  each week -- on Saturday night.