inserting line numbers programmatically

  • Neil Zanella
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello,

      I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
      the lines become prefixed with:

      LINE1
      LINE2
      LINE3
      LINE4
      LINE5

      Is this possible with vim? I know there are commands starting with q used
      to record other commands but I am not sure whether it is possible to make
      reference to a counter initialized to one and increment the counter from
      within vim so as to produce the above effect.

      Thanks,

      Neil
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:55:34PM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
        > the lines become prefixed with:
        >
        > LINE1
        > LINE2
        > LINE3
        > LINE4
        > LINE5
        >
        > Is this possible with vim? I know there are commands starting with q used
        > to record other commands but I am not sure whether it is possible to make
        > reference to a counter initialized to one and increment the counter from
        > within vim so as to produce the above effect.

        :%s/^/\= "LINE" . line(".")

        :help sub-replace-special

        There are also several scripts that make this sort of thing easier and
        more flexible. I have not tried them myself, but a search for scripts
        with the keyword "number"

        http://www.vim.org/scripts/script_search_results.php?keywords=number&script_type=&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search

        shows increment.vim and visincr.vim among others.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • David Rock
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
          * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [2003-11-01 22:50]:
          > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:55:34PM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
          > > the lines become prefixed with:
          > >
          > > LINE1
          > > LINE2
          > > LINE3
          > > LINE4
          > > LINE5
          > >
          > > Is this possible with vim? I know there are commands starting with q used
          > > to record other commands but I am not sure whether it is possible to make
          > > reference to a counter initialized to one and increment the counter from
          > > within vim so as to produce the above effect.
          >
          > :%s/^/\= "LINE" . line(".")
          >
          > :help sub-replace-special
          >
          > There are also several scripts that make this sort of thing easier and
          > more flexible. I have not tried them myself, but a search for scripts
          > with the keyword "number"
          >
          > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script_search_results.php?keywords=number&script_type=&order_by=rating&direction=descending&search=search
          >
          > shows increment.vim and visincr.vim among others.

          Here is a link to another thread that is related to doing this. It's
          from earlier posts to this list:

          David Rock
          david@...
        • Charles E. Campbell
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 07:55:34PM -0330, Neil Zanella wrote:
            > I have a text file with N lines. I would like to issue a command such that
            > the lines become prefixed with:
            > LINE1
            > LINE2
            > LINE3

            One may use

            :he nu

            to see line numbers (they're not actually made part of the file)
            or you could use <visincr.vim> for this.

            -or- http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/index.html#VimFuncs
            as "Visual Incrementing".

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell