changing cwd (easy)

  • jonah
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003

      How can you set the current working directory to the directory of the current
      file?

      Also, is there a way to do a "Save as" and start working on the new file in one
      simple command?
      That is, say your working on test.txt. I want a shortcut for doing this:

      :w test2.txt
      :e test2.txt

      Thanks for any info,
      jonah
    • Hiroshi Iwatani
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
        If I understand your requirement correctly,

        while yu're editing test.txt, do

        :sav test2.txt

        --
        Hiroshi Iwatani

        *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
        including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about your
        country? *for our better karma*
        ---------------------
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
          On 2003-11-01, jonah <jonahgoldstein@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > How can you set the current working directory to the directory of the current
          > file?

          :cd %:p:h

          or

          :lcd %:p:h

          See

          :help cd
          :help lcd
          :help filename-modifiers

          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
            jonah <jonahgoldstein@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > How can you set the current working directory to the directory of the
            > current file?

            There is, but I'm not sure. Maybe ":cd %:p:h"? (or :lcd instead of :cd to
            change dir only for the current window)

            > Also, is there a way to do a "Save as" and start working on the new
            > file in one simple command?
            > That is, say your working on test.txt. I want a shortcut for doing
            > this:
            >
            > > w test2.txt
            > > e test2.txt

            see ":help :saveas"

            > Thanks for any info,
            > jonah

          • Ing. Stanislav Sitar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
              >Hi,
              >
              >How can you set the current working directory to the directory of the current
              >file?
              >
              >Also, is there a way to do a "Save as" and start working on the new file in one
              >simple command?

              put this into your .vimrc

              " Change to the directory the file in your current buffer is in
              autocmd BufEnter * :cd %:p:h

              I have copied it from somewhere quite a long time ago, and I can't
              imagine living without it.

              Enjoy.
              Stano