Runtimepath anomalies?

  • Tim Johnson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hello:
      I'm using ver 6.2 on RH 9.0
      Strangly enough (to me) when I ran the Listmaps utility
      it appears to me that the runtime path is being loaded from
      /usr/local/share/vim/vim61

      and would not I expect the path to be
      /usr/local/share/vim/vim62 ??

      I can confirm that the /usr/local/share/vim/vim62
      does indeed exist. I believe that I have also confirmed
      that Listmaps is working properly by doing some
      tweaking to /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
      and seeing it reflected in the editor.

      When I do a dump from 'env (as user), I see
      an environment variable call 'PWD, which is set
      to PWD=/usr/local/share/vim/vim61.
      Currently, I can't seem to backtrack to where that
      variable is set.

      Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
      Thanks
      Tim
      --
      Tim Johnson <tim@...>
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
        Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
        > Hello:
        > I'm using ver 6.2 on RH 9.0
        > Strangly enough (to me) when I ran the Listmaps utility
        > it appears to me that the runtime path is being loaded from
        > /usr/local/share/vim/vim61
        >
        > and would not I expect the path to be
        > /usr/local/share/vim/vim62 ??
        >
        > I can confirm that the /usr/local/share/vim/vim62
        > does indeed exist. I believe that I have also confirmed
        > that Listmaps is working properly by doing some
        > tweaking to /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
        > and seeing it reflected in the editor.
        >
        > When I do a dump from 'env (as user), I see
        > an environment variable call 'PWD, which is set
        > to PWD=/usr/local/share/vim/vim61.
        > Currently, I can't seem to backtrack to where that
        > variable is set.
        >
        > Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
        > Thanks
        > Tim
        > --
        > Tim Johnson <tim@...>
        > http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

        IIUC, $PWD is the "present working directory". It is not set by "set" or
        "export" but by "cd"

      • Tim Johnson
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
          * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [031031 10:14]:
          > Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
          > > Hello:
          > > I'm using ver 6.2 on RH 9.0
          > > Strangly enough (to me) when I ran the Listmaps utility
          > > it appears to me that the runtime path is being loaded from
          > > /usr/local/share/vim/vim61
          > >
          > > and would not I expect the path to be
          > > /usr/local/share/vim/vim62 ??
          > >
          > > I can confirm that the /usr/local/share/vim/vim62
          > > does indeed exist. I believe that I have also confirmed
          > > that Listmaps is working properly by doing some
          > > tweaking to /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
          > > and seeing it reflected in the editor.
          > >
          > > When I do a dump from 'env (as user), I see
          > > an environment variable call 'PWD, which is set
          > > to PWD=/usr/local/share/vim/vim61.
          > > Currently, I can't seem to backtrack to where that
          > > variable is set.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
          > > Thanks
          > > Tim
          > > --
          > > Tim Johnson <tim@...>
          > > http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com
          >
          > IIUC, $PWD is the "present working directory". It is not set by "set" or
          > "export" but by "cd"

          Tony, you're correct about that, I shouldn't have even mentioned
          it - sorry - but, my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
          : echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
          /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
          :version " returns
          VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
          " first line
          thanks
          tim
          --
          Tim Johnson <tim@...>
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
            Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
            [...]
            > my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
            > > echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
            > /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
            > > version " returns
            > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
            > " first line
            > thanks
            > tim
            > --
            > Tim Johnson <tim@...>
            > http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

            Hmm. Strange. Just before loading Vim, does the shell see any $VIM and/or
            $VIMRUNTIME variables in the environment? In Vim, you might also try
            ":verbose set helpfile?" just in case one or both of them were set from
            there.

            see
            :help $VIM
            :help $VIMRUNTIME

          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
              On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:56:10AM -0900, Tim Johnson wrote:
              > * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [031031 10:14]:
              > > Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
              > > > Hello:
              > > > I'm using ver 6.2 on RH 9.0
              > > > Strangly enough (to me) when I ran the Listmaps utility
              > > > it appears to me that the runtime path is being loaded from
              > > > /usr/local/share/vim/vim61
              > > >
              > > > and would not I expect the path to be
              > > > /usr/local/share/vim/vim62 ??
              > > >
              > > > I can confirm that the /usr/local/share/vim/vim62
              > > > does indeed exist. I believe that I have also confirmed
              > > > that Listmaps is working properly by doing some
              > > > tweaking to /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
              > > > and seeing it reflected in the editor.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone have any comments or suggestions.
              > > > Thanks
              > > > Tim
              >
              > Tony, you're correct about that, I shouldn't have even mentioned
              > it - sorry - but, my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
              > : echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
              > /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
              > :version " returns
              > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
              > " first line
              > thanks
              > tim

              The "bin/../" in $VIMRUNTIME is odd. Try starting vim without
              runtime files:

              $ vim -u NONE --noplugin
              :set nocompatible
              :echo $VIMRUNTIME

              I suspect that something in your runtime files is to blame. If I am
              right, then the above procedure should give /usr/local/share/vim/vim61 .
              For good measure, try

              :echo $VIM

              with and without sourcing the runtime files.

              See

              :help $VIMRUNTIME

              and walk through the possibilities for how it is set. Perhaps you
              defined the environment variable in your .cshrc or something before
              upgrading from vim 6.1 to 6.2?

              HTH --Benji Fisher
            • Tim Johnson
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [031031 11:38]:
                > Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
                > [...]
                > > my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
                > > > echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
                > > /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
                > > > version " returns
                > > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
                > > " first line
                > > thanks
                > > tim
                > > --
                > > Tim Johnson <tim@...>
                > > http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com
                >
                > Hmm. Strange. Just before loading Vim, does the shell see any $VIM and/or
                > $VIMRUNTIME variables in the environment? In Vim, you might also try
                > ":verbose set helpfile?" just in case one or both of them were set from
                > there.

                My env dump does not show any such variables;
                > see
                > :help $VIM
                > :help $VIMRUNTIME

                I tried the following in the .vimrc
                let $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/"

                and now :echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
                /usr/local/share/vim/vim62/

                but Listmap still shows
                /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/....

                This is interesting, indeed ....
                test tweak still show that /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
                is beling sourced.
                thanks again
                tim

                --
                Tim Johnson <tim@...>
              • Tim Johnson
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                  * Benji Fisher <benji@...> [031031 11:50]:
                  > On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:56:10AM -0900, Tim Johnson wrote:
                  >
                  > The "bin/../" in $VIMRUNTIME is odd. Try starting vim without
                  > runtime files:
                  >
                  > $ vim -u NONE --noplugin
                  > :set nocompatible
                  > :echo $VIMRUNTIME
                  >
                  > I suspect that something in your runtime files is to blame. If I am
                  > right, then the above procedure should give /usr/local/share/vim/vim61 .

                  You're correct.

                  > For good measure, try
                  >
                  > :echo $VIM
                  >
                  > with and without sourcing the runtime files.
                  >
                  > See

                  even with the switches above, I see
                  the same $VIM and $VIMRUNTIME.

                  > :help $VIMRUNTIME
                  >
                  > and walk through the possibilities for how it is set. Perhaps you
                  > defined the environment variable in your .cshrc or something before
                  > upgrading from vim 6.1 to 6.2?

                  When time permits me, I will follow this. And perhaps I
                  have an older 'vim' somewhere.....

                  --
                  Tim Johnson <tim@...>
                • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                    Tim Johnson <tim@...> wrote:
                    [...]
                    > I tried the following in the .vimrc
                    > let $VIMRUNTIME = "/usr/local/share/vim/vim62/"
                    >
                    > and now :echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
                    > /usr/local/share/vim/vim62/
                    >
                    > but Listmap still shows
                    > /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/....
                    >
                    > This is interesting, indeed ....
                    > test tweak still show that /usr/local/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim
                    > is beling sourced.
                    > thanks again
                    > tim
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Tony.
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Tim Johnson <tim@...>
                    > http://www.alaska-internet-solutions.com

                    The output of the ":scriptnames" command makes me think that menu.vim is
                    sourced as a side-effect of the ex-command "filetype plugin indent on" in
                    the vimrc. Try putting your "let $VIMRUNTIME=..." before that, maybe at the
                    very top of your vimrc, or of your system vimrc if you have write
                    permissions on it (see the :version listing for their location -- on my
                    Windows system the system vimrc is at $VIM/vimrc with no underline or dot in
                    the filename).
                  • Dan Sharp
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                      Tim Johnson wrote:
                      > * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [031031 10:14]:
                      >
                      > Tony, you're correct about that, I shouldn't have even mentioned
                      > it - sorry - but, my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
                      > : echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
                      > /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
                      > :version " returns
                      > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
                      > " first line

                      Your problem is a bug patched by 6.2.006:

                      Patch 6.2.006
                      Problem: The Netbeans code contains an obsolete function that uses
                      "vim61" and sets the fall-back value for $VIMRUNTIME.
                      Solution: Delete the obsolete function.
                      Files: src/main.c, src/netbeans.c, src/proto/netbeans.pro

                      Dan Sharp
                    • Tim Johnson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                        * Dan Sharp <dwsharp@...> [031031 13:03]:
                        > Tim Johnson wrote:
                        > >* Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [031031 10:14]:
                        > >
                        > > Tony, you're correct about that, I shouldn't have even mentioned
                        > > it - sorry - but, my original puzzle re the syntax path remains -
                        > > : echo $VIMRUNTIME " returns
                        > > /usr/local/bin/../share/vim/vim61
                        > > :version " returns
                        > > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.2 (2003 Jun 1, compiled Sep 15 2003 16:44:11)
                        > > " first line
                        >
                        > Your problem is a bug patched by 6.2.006:
                        >
                        > Patch 6.2.006
                        > Problem: The Netbeans code contains an obsolete function that uses
                        > "vim61" and sets the fall-back value for $VIMRUNTIME.
                        > Solution: Delete the obsolete function.
                        > Files: src/main.c, src/netbeans.c, src/proto/netbeans.pro
                        Aha! Thanks Dan. I will download patches and apply, or maybe
                        it's time to check out A-A-P.

                        And my thanks to all of you for your help.
                        tim

                        --
                        Tim Johnson <tim@...>