My girlfriend started using gvim on Windows

  • Lukas Ruf
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      Dear all,

      I convinced my girlfriend of using gvim on Windows. However, she
      is not fascinated of first typing 'i' to start insert mode.

      So, my question is: is there any way to configure gvim such that it
      immediately starts in insert mode ON WINDOWS? And how?

      Thanks in advance!

      wbr,
      Lukas
      --
      Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
      <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        Your girlfirend :-)

        B R A V O !!! someone with a life :-)

      • Geoffrey Mann
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
          Lukas,
          My first advice is don't mix software and girlfriends.
          If she makes you choose between VIM and her, what will you do? :)
          Can you live without VIM?
          A previous girlfriend of mine switched to emacs. Needless to say,
          the relationship went nowhere.
          JK

          see
          :help start

          you could place this in the
          if has("autocmd")
          start
          endif " has("autocmd")
          of her _vimrc file

          That way it will start up in insert mode.

          I convinced my girlfriend of using gvim on Windows. However, she
          is not fascinated of first typing 'i' to start insert mode.

          So, my question is: is there any way to configure gvim such that it
          immediately starts in insert mode ON WINDOWS? And how?

          Thanks in advance!

          wbr,
          Lukas
          --
          Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
          <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |
        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
            Lukas Ruf <ruf@...> wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > I convinced my girlfriend of using gvim on Windows. However, she
            > is not fascinated of first typing 'i' to start insert mode.
            >
            > So, my question is: is there any way to configure gvim such that it
            > immediately starts in insert mode ON WINDOWS? And how?
            >
            > Thanks in advance!
            >
            > wbr,
            > Lukas
            > --
            > Lukas Ruf | Wanna know anything about raw |
            > <http://www.lpr.ch> | IP? <http://www.rawip.org> |

            She might want to use the shortcut dubbed "gvimEasy" which was normally
            created during Vim installation. Though why want to cripple Vim by forcing
            it permanently into insert mode, that's beyond me.

          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
              Geoffrey Mann wrote:

              > A previous girlfriend of mine switched to emacs. Needless to say,
              > the relationship went nowhere.

              Great remark to use as a quote! :-)

              > see
              > :help start
              >
              > you could place this in the=20
              > if has("autocmd")
              > start
              > endif " has("autocmd")
              > of her _vimrc file
              >
              > That way it will start up in insert mode.

              A more drastic way is starting "evim" or "vim -y".

              67. Your hard drive crashes. You haven't logged in for two hours. You start
              to twitch. You pick up the phone and manually dial your ISP's access
              number. You try to hum to communicate with the modem. You succeed.

            • Eugene Lee
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
                On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:01:16PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                :
                : Geoffrey Mann wrote:
                : >
                : > A previous girlfriend of mine switched to emacs. Needless to say,
                : > the relationship went nowhere.
                :
                : Great remark to use as a quote! :-)

                So if you notice that your girlfriend has a little LISP, you might have
                a difficult relationship? :-)

                --
                Eugene Lee
                eugene at anime dot net