Re: list of characterwise vs. linewise exceptions?

  • Antony Scriven
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      Tim Chase wrote:

      > > and you type V*d it will delete all the lines because
      > > V only works linewise.
      >
      > Thanks for the suggestion...I've done this, but have
      > fallen out of the habit, because a remote machine I
      > regularly use (over which I have no control, and which
      > only offers me a jailshelled account) offers only a
      > stripped down version of vim compilied without visual
      > commands. (without a *lot* of nicities :( ) They had
      > [...]

      Maybe :help o_V will be of use? I'm assuming that that will
      still be in your stripped-down Vim.

      Antony
    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        > Maybe :help o_V will be of use? I'm assuming that that will
        > still be in your stripped-down Vim.

        wow...learned something new! :) Unfortunately, this seems to require that
        vim be built with +visual which it's not. I eagerly ssh'ed onto the box
        to test it to discover it was a bust. Attempting "dV*" gave me the
        errorbell when I hit the V. It's RH's "Tiny version without GUI" vim6.1
        with the only features enabled being

        +builtin_terms
        +fork()
        +iconv
        +multi_byte
        +terminfo
        +wildignore
        +writebackup

        As stated, it's a pretty stripped down version of vim :)

        Thanks for the new modifier...at least I can use this to solve the problem
        at home :)

        -tim