Re: list of characterwise vs. linewise exceptions?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      > and you type V*d it will delete all the lines because V only works
      linewise.

      Thanks for the suggestion...I've done this, but have fallen out of the
      habit, because a remote machine I regularly use (over which I have no
      control, and which only offers me a jailshelled account) offers only a
      stripped down version of vim compilied without visual commands. (without
      a *lot* of nicities :( ) They had a more souped up version available
      once-upon-a-time, but because of some Python threading issue pegging CPU
      usage, they disabled it for user accounts, so I'm stuck with anorexic-vim
      :) I can't get them to simply rebuild from sources without Python (IIRC,
      this issue has even been fixed in the latest versions). Ah well.

      -tim
    • Antony Scriven
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        Tim Chase wrote:

        > > and you type V*d it will delete all the lines because
        > > V only works linewise.
        >
        > Thanks for the suggestion...I've done this, but have
        > fallen out of the habit, because a remote machine I
        > regularly use (over which I have no control, and which
        > only offers me a jailshelled account) offers only a
        > stripped down version of vim compilied without visual
        > commands. (without a *lot* of nicities :( ) They had
        > [...]

        Maybe :help o_V will be of use? I'm assuming that that will
        still be in your stripped-down Vim.

        Antony
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
          > Maybe :help o_V will be of use? I'm assuming that that will
          > still be in your stripped-down Vim.

          wow...learned something new! :) Unfortunately, this seems to require that
          vim be built with +visual which it's not. I eagerly ssh'ed onto the box
          to test it to discover it was a bust. Attempting "dV*" gave me the
          errorbell when I hit the V. It's RH's "Tiny version without GUI" vim6.1
          with the only features enabled being

          +builtin_terms
          +fork()
          +iconv
          +multi_byte
          +terminfo
          +wildignore
          +writebackup

          As stated, it's a pretty stripped down version of vim :)

          Thanks for the new modifier...at least I can use this to solve the problem
          at home :)

          -tim