Re: FAQ : should we or shouldn't we?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
      > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
      > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
      > A4 sheets of 8pt font. Things became much clearer then. I was going to

      I still regularly refer to the collaberative effort between Bram and Oleg
      Raisky, their "Vim 5.6 Reference Guide" (I've got a version 0.7, which I'm
      not
      sure has ever been updated). I've printed out the 50 pages (printed
      duplex,
      and bound with a regular stapler), it's been well worth killing the
      sapling
      that I did for it. :) This could be pruned down a bit (removing the TOC
      saves
      you two pages, and pages 50/51 are blank/credits that could be condensed
      elsewhere), but it's quite handy, well organized, and covers most of the
      material one might need. It might prove a good companion to something
      like
      FAQ Yegappan maintains (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html).

      -tim
    • Russell Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
        Russell Shaw wrote:
        > John Aldridge wrote:
        >
        >> At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
        >>
        >>> content-class: urn:content-classes:message
        >>>
        >>> I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
        >>>
        >>> It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most
        >>> of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't
        >>> we make an FAQ?
        >>>
        >>> However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h'
        >>> away, but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't
        >>> find the response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
        >>>
        >>> If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
        >>> create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
        >>> and try to see what we get.
        >

        > I found the problem is online help. There's too many files to read off the
        > screen. Things become clearer if you have a decent printer to print them
        > out. Even then, there's too many pages. There's nothing that can be done
        > because that's what it takes to hold *all* the info.
        >
        > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
        > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
        > A4 sheets of 8pt font.

        On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
        vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most questions
        are about. An online FAQ would be better.
      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
          --- Saar Machtinger <SAARMA@...> wrote:
          > I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?

          We already have a extensive Vim FAQ at

          http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

          I do periodically update this FAQ based on the questions in the
          vim mailing list and the comp.editors newsgroup.

          - Yegappan

          > It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most of the
          > answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't we make an
          > FAQ?
          >
          > However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away, but
          > for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the response in
          > the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
          >
          > If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create a new
          > thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try to see what
          > we get.
          >
          > Saar>

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
            --- John Aldridge <jaldri1@...> wrote:
            > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
            >
            > >content-class: urn:content-classes:message
            > >
            > >I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
            > >
            > >It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
            > >most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
            > >shouldn't we make an FAQ?
            > >
            > >However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
            > >':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
            > >didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
            > >at the FAQ?
            > >
            > >If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
            > >create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
            > >and try to see what we get.
            > >
            > >Saar
            >
            > The most common questions are already answered in the help files. Also,
            > I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
            > and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.
            >
            > I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
            > really needed:
            >
            > 1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
            > 2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
            > 3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
            > 4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).
            >
            > If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
            > file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
            > with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
            > the maintainer of the FAQ.
            >
            > None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
            > of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
            > among many contributors.

            This is already done and the Vim FAQ is available at

            http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

            - Yegappan

            > So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
            > won't go anywhere.

            http://shopping.yahoo.com
          • Antoine J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
              Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
              > Russell Shaw wrote:
              [...]
              > On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
              > vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
              > questions
              > are about. An online FAQ would be better.

              Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
              accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

            • Saar Machtinger
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                Yegappan -> Thanks, exacltly what I was looking for

              • Russell Shaw
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                  > Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>Russell Shaw wrote:
                  >
                  > [...]
                  >
                  >>On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                  >>vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
                  >>questions
                  >>are about. An online FAQ would be better.
                  >
                  > Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
                  > accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

                  Hi,
                  I just meant that the sheet i did is no substitute for the FAQ
                  whether it exists or not. I didn't mean that another FAQ is
                  needed, and i haven't needed one for a while. I learnt the
                  most by printing the manual from the gui print menu, and
                  writing my cheet-sheet.
                • James R Bamford
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                    above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                    mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                    question..

                    Original message follows just in case

                    Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                    of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                    is nice too..

                    Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                    on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                    project and navigate with them fine...

                    It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                    function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                    list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                    declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                    !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...

                    Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                    search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                    sound feasible?!?

                    Thanks

                    Jim
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                      James R Bamford wrote:

                      > Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                      > above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                      > mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                      > question..

                      I did see it. In case of doubt you can look in the maillist archives.

                      > Original message follows just in case
                      >
                      > Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                      > of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                      > is nice too..
                      >
                      > Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                      > on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                      > project and navigate with them fine...
                      >
                      > It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                      > function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                      > list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                      > declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                      > !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...
                      >
                      > Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                      > search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                      > sound feasible?!?

                      Perhaps the preview window does most of what you want. You just have to
                      tell Vim what to fill it with. See ":help preview-window".

                      --
                      "Thou shalt not follow the Null Pointer, for at its end Chaos and
                      Madness lie."