Re: FAQ : should we or shouldn't we?

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
      John Aldridge <jaldri1@...> wrote:
      > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
      >
      > > content-class: urn:content-classes:message
      > >
      > > I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
      > >
      > > It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
      > > most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
      > > shouldn't we make an FAQ?
      > >
      > > However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
      > > ':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
      > > didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
      > > at the FAQ?
      > >
      > > If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
      > > create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
      > > and try to see what we get.
      > >
      > > Saar
      >
      > The most common questions are already answered in the help files.
      > Also,
      > I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
      > and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.
      >
      > I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
      > really needed:
      >
      > 1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
      > 2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
      > 3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
      > 4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).
      >
      > If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
      > file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
      > with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
      > the maintainer of the FAQ.
      >
      > None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
      > of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
      > among many contributors.
      >
      > So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
      > won't go anywhere.
      >

      > ~
      > ~
      > ~
      > "John R. Aldridge, Jr."

      What about the FAQ already maintained as text by Yegappan Lakshmann and
      available as HTML from http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html ?

    • Russell Shaw
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
        John Aldridge wrote:
        > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
        >
        >> content-class: urn:content-classes:message
        >>
        >> I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
        >>
        >> It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most
        >> of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't
        >> we make an FAQ?
        >>
        >> However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away,
        >> but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the
        >> response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
        >>
        >> If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create
        >> a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try
        >> to see what we get.

        I found the problem is online help. There's too many files to read off the
        screen. Things become clearer if you have a decent printer to print them
        out. Even then, there's too many pages. There's nothing that can be done
        because that's what it takes to hold *all* the info.

        What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
        nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
        A4 sheets of 8pt font. Things became much clearer then. I was going to
        do it in TEX, but haven't figured it out. So i tried Abiword, but that
        has crappy printout bugs at small font size, so it's stuck in M$ word.
        I'll get around to learning TEX one day.
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
          > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
          > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
          > A4 sheets of 8pt font. Things became much clearer then. I was going to

          I still regularly refer to the collaberative effort between Bram and Oleg
          Raisky, their "Vim 5.6 Reference Guide" (I've got a version 0.7, which I'm
          not
          sure has ever been updated). I've printed out the 50 pages (printed
          duplex,
          and bound with a regular stapler), it's been well worth killing the
          sapling
          that I did for it. :) This could be pruned down a bit (removing the TOC
          saves
          you two pages, and pages 50/51 are blank/credits that could be condensed
          elsewhere), but it's quite handy, well organized, and covers most of the
          material one might need. It might prove a good companion to something
          like
          FAQ Yegappan maintains (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html).

          -tim
        • Russell Shaw
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
            Russell Shaw wrote:
            > John Aldridge wrote:
            >
            >> At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
            >>
            >>> content-class: urn:content-classes:message
            >>>
            >>> I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
            >>>
            >>> It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most
            >>> of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't
            >>> we make an FAQ?
            >>>
            >>> However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h'
            >>> away, but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't
            >>> find the response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
            >>>
            >>> If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
            >>> create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
            >>> and try to see what we get.
            >

            > I found the problem is online help. There's too many files to read off the
            > screen. Things become clearer if you have a decent printer to print them
            > out. Even then, there's too many pages. There's nothing that can be done
            > because that's what it takes to hold *all* the info.
            >
            > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
            > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
            > A4 sheets of 8pt font.

            On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
            vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most questions
            are about. An online FAQ would be better.
          • Yegappan Lakshmanan
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- Saar Machtinger <SAARMA@...> wrote:
              > I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?

              We already have a extensive Vim FAQ at

              http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

              I do periodically update this FAQ based on the questions in the
              vim mailing list and the comp.editors newsgroup.

              - Yegappan

              > It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most of the
              > answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't we make an
              > FAQ?
              >
              > However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away, but
              > for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the response in
              > the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
              >
              > If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create a new
              > thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try to see what
              > we get.
              >
              > Saar>

              http://shopping.yahoo.com
            • Yegappan Lakshmanan
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                --- John Aldridge <jaldri1@...> wrote:
                > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
                >
                > >content-class: urn:content-classes:message
                > >
                > >I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
                > >
                > >It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
                > >most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
                > >shouldn't we make an FAQ?
                > >
                > >However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
                > >':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
                > >didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
                > >at the FAQ?
                > >
                > >If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
                > >create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
                > >and try to see what we get.
                > >
                > >Saar
                >
                > The most common questions are already answered in the help files. Also,
                > I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
                > and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.
                >
                > I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
                > really needed:
                >
                > 1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
                > 2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
                > 3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
                > 4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).
                >
                > If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
                > file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
                > with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
                > the maintainer of the FAQ.
                >
                > None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
                > of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
                > among many contributors.

                This is already done and the Vim FAQ is available at

                http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

                - Yegappan

                > So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
                > won't go anywhere.

                http://shopping.yahoo.com
              • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
                  > Russell Shaw wrote:
                  [...]
                  > On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                  > vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
                  > questions
                  > are about. An online FAQ would be better.

                  Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
                  accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

                • Saar Machtinger
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Yegappan -> Thanks, exacltly what I was looking for

                  • Russell Shaw
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                      > Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>Russell Shaw wrote:
                      >
                      > [...]
                      >
                      >>On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                      >>vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
                      >>questions
                      >>are about. An online FAQ would be better.
                      >
                      > Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
                      > accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

                      Hi,
                      I just meant that the sheet i did is no substitute for the FAQ
                      whether it exists or not. I didn't mean that another FAQ is
                      needed, and i haven't needed one for a while. I learnt the
                      most by printing the manual from the gui print menu, and
                      writing my cheet-sheet.
                    • James R Bamford
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                        Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                        above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                        mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                        question..

                        Original message follows just in case

                        Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                        of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                        is nice too..

                        Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                        on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                        project and navigate with them fine...

                        It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                        function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                        list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                        declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                        !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...

                        Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                        search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                        sound feasible?!?

                        Thanks

                        Jim
                      • Bram Moolenaar
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                          James R Bamford wrote:

                          > Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                          > above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                          > mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                          > question..

                          I did see it. In case of doubt you can look in the maillist archives.

                          > Original message follows just in case
                          >
                          > Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                          > of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                          > is nice too..
                          >
                          > Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                          > on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                          > project and navigate with them fine...
                          >
                          > It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                          > function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                          > list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                          > declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                          > !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...
                          >
                          > Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                          > search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                          > sound feasible?!?

                          Perhaps the preview window does most of what you want. You just have to
                          tell Vim what to fill it with. See ":help preview-window".

                          --
                          "Thou shalt not follow the Null Pointer, for at its end Chaos and
                          Madness lie."