FAQ : should we or shouldn't we?

  • Saar Machtinger
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
      I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?

      It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't we make an FAQ?

      However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?

      If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try to see what we get.

      Saar
    • John Aldridge
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
        At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:

        >content-class: urn:content-classes:message
        >
        >I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
        >
        >It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
        >most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
        >shouldn't we make an FAQ?
        >
        >However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
        >':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
        >didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
        >at the FAQ?
        >
        >If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
        >create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
        >and try to see what we get.
        >
        >Saar

        The most common questions are already answered in the help files. Also,
        I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
        and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.

        I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
        really needed:

        1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
        2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
        3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
        4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).

        If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
        file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
        with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
        the maintainer of the FAQ.

        None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
        of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
        among many contributors.

        So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
        won't go anywhere.

        ~
        ~
        ~
        "John R. Aldridge, Jr."
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
          John Aldridge <jaldri1@...> wrote:
          > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
          >
          > > content-class: urn:content-classes:message
          > >
          > > I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
          > >
          > > It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
          > > most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
          > > shouldn't we make an FAQ?
          > >
          > > However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
          > > ':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
          > > didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
          > > at the FAQ?
          > >
          > > If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
          > > create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
          > > and try to see what we get.
          > >
          > > Saar
          >
          > The most common questions are already answered in the help files.
          > Also,
          > I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
          > and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.
          >
          > I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
          > really needed:
          >
          > 1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
          > 2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
          > 3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
          > 4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).
          >
          > If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
          > file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
          > with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
          > the maintainer of the FAQ.
          >
          > None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
          > of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
          > among many contributors.
          >
          > So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
          > won't go anywhere.
          >

          > ~
          > ~
          > ~
          > "John R. Aldridge, Jr."

          What about the FAQ already maintained as text by Yegappan Lakshmann and
          available as HTML from http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html ?

        • Russell Shaw
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
            John Aldridge wrote:
            > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
            >
            >> content-class: urn:content-classes:message
            >>
            >> I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
            >>
            >> It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most
            >> of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't
            >> we make an FAQ?
            >>
            >> However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away,
            >> but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the
            >> response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
            >>
            >> If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create
            >> a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try
            >> to see what we get.

            I found the problem is online help. There's too many files to read off the
            screen. Things become clearer if you have a decent printer to print them
            out. Even then, there's too many pages. There's nothing that can be done
            because that's what it takes to hold *all* the info.

            What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
            nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
            A4 sheets of 8pt font. Things became much clearer then. I was going to
            do it in TEX, but haven't figured it out. So i tried Abiword, but that
            has crappy printout bugs at small font size, so it's stuck in M$ word.
            I'll get around to learning TEX one day.
          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
              > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
              > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
              > A4 sheets of 8pt font. Things became much clearer then. I was going to

              I still regularly refer to the collaberative effort between Bram and Oleg
              Raisky, their "Vim 5.6 Reference Guide" (I've got a version 0.7, which I'm
              not
              sure has ever been updated). I've printed out the 50 pages (printed
              duplex,
              and bound with a regular stapler), it's been well worth killing the
              sapling
              that I did for it. :) This could be pruned down a bit (removing the TOC
              saves
              you two pages, and pages 50/51 are blank/credits that could be condensed
              elsewhere), but it's quite handy, well organized, and covers most of the
              material one might need. It might prove a good companion to something
              like
              FAQ Yegappan maintains (http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html).

              -tim
            • Russell Shaw
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                Russell Shaw wrote:
                > John Aldridge wrote:
                >
                >> At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
                >>
                >>> content-class: urn:content-classes:message
                >>>
                >>> I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
                >>>
                >>> It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most
                >>> of the answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't
                >>> we make an FAQ?
                >>>
                >>> However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h'
                >>> away, but for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't
                >>> find the response in the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
                >>>
                >>> If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
                >>> create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
                >>> and try to see what we get.
                >

                > I found the problem is online help. There's too many files to read off the
                > screen. Things become clearer if you have a decent printer to print them
                > out. Even then, there's too many pages. There's nothing that can be done
                > because that's what it takes to hold *all* the info.
                >
                > What's needed is a *long* quick-reference cheet sheet that prints out
                > nicely as ps or pdf. I made one (not ps or pdf) that is 8 double-sided
                > A4 sheets of 8pt font.

                On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most questions
                are about. An online FAQ would be better.
              • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                  --- Saar Machtinger <SAARMA@...> wrote:
                  > I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?

                  We already have a extensive Vim FAQ at

                  http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

                  I do periodically update this FAQ based on the questions in the
                  vim mailing list and the comp.editors newsgroup.

                  - Yegappan

                  > It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know most of the
                  > answers have already been answered at least once, so shouldn't we make an
                  > FAQ?
                  >
                  > However, for many of the questions the answers lie several ':h' away, but
                  > for those who ask the questions, and who didn't/couldn't find the response in
                  > the :h files, will they find it at the FAQ?
                  >
                  > If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets create a new
                  > thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that), and try to see what
                  > we get.
                  >
                  > Saar>

                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                • Yegappan Lakshmanan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                    --- John Aldridge <jaldri1@...> wrote:
                    > At 06:56 10-01-2003, Saar Machtinger wrote:
                    >
                    > >content-class: urn:content-classes:message
                    > >
                    > >I wonder, should we try to create a FAQ or not?
                    > >
                    > >It seems that there are many recurring questions, and as we know
                    > >most of the answers have already been answered at least once, so
                    > >shouldn't we make an FAQ?
                    > >
                    > >However, for many of the questions the answers lie several
                    > >':h' away, but for those who ask the questions, and who
                    > >didn't/couldn't find the response in the :h files, will they find it
                    > >at the FAQ?
                    > >
                    > >If you think that we should try and compile a kind of FAQ, lets
                    > >create a new thread with header: FAQ new (or something like that),
                    > >and try to see what we get.
                    > >
                    > >Saar
                    >
                    > The most common questions are already answered in the help files. Also,
                    > I believe that the on-line tips at www.vim.org were already created --
                    > and quite nicely -- for the purpose of generating a FAQ.
                    >
                    > I see four tasks that may be worth considering if a separate FAQ is
                    > really needed:
                    >
                    > 1. Identify the common questions from the existing mail archives.
                    > 2. Categorize the questions (and there are many categories).
                    > 3. Summarize the most succinct answers.
                    > 4. List the relevant help file topics (help commands).
                    >
                    > If such a FAQ should exist, the format should be the standard help
                    > file format (which can be converted to linked HTML, by script, along
                    > with the other help files). Once created, someone may want to become
                    > the maintainer of the FAQ.
                    >
                    > None of these tasks seems trivial. The first two would involve a lot
                    > of work for one or two people. The remaining steps could be divided
                    > among many contributors.

                    This is already done and the Vim FAQ is available at

                    http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/vimfaq.html

                    - Yegappan

                    > So if one is willing to take on the first two tasks, this probably
                    > won't go anywhere.

                    http://shopping.yahoo.com
                  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
                      > Russell Shaw wrote:
                      [...]
                      > On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                      > vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
                      > questions
                      > are about. An online FAQ would be better.

                      Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
                      accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

                    • Saar Machtinger
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                        Yegappan -> Thanks, exacltly what I was looking for

                      • Russell Shaw
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
                          > Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >>Russell Shaw wrote:
                          >
                          > [...]
                          >
                          >>On second thoughts, a cheet-sheet is only good for learning normal
                          >>vim use. My sheet doesn't have any options settings that most
                          >>questions
                          >>are about. An online FAQ would be better.
                          >
                          > Sorry for repeating myself, but what about the FAQ that can already be
                          > accessed from the "Documentation" section at vim-online ?

                          Hi,
                          I just meant that the sheet i did is no substitute for the FAQ
                          whether it exists or not. I didn't mean that another FAQ is
                          needed, and i haven't needed one for a while. I learnt the
                          most by printing the manual from the gui print menu, and
                          writing my cheet-sheet.
                        • James R Bamford
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                            Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                            above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                            mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                            question..

                            Original message follows just in case

                            Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                            of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                            is nice too..

                            Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                            on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                            project and navigate with them fine...

                            It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                            function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                            list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                            declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                            !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...

                            Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                            search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                            sound feasible?!?

                            Thanks

                            Jim
                          • Bram Moolenaar
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                              James R Bamford wrote:

                              > Hi folks, just trying to test my email setup... I sent an email titled as
                              > above on tooltips yesterday or the day before.. I never saw it appear on the
                              > mail list... did anyone else!?? will this one appear!?!? thats the
                              > question..

                              I did see it. In case of doubt you can look in the maillist archives.

                              > Original message follows just in case
                              >
                              > Just got Taglist setup today, very impressive it is too.. with the breakdown
                              > of items in the left hand vertical window... the prototype along the bottom
                              > is nice too..
                              >
                              > Its so close tho but i'd love something that rather than working with tags
                              > on a per file used the full tags file.. I always have it made for my source
                              > project and navigate with them fine...
                              >
                              > It'd be great to get a sidewindow like taglist come up and as you type
                              > function calls in it sorts throught your tags file and puts the narrowed
                              > list in the window like taglist.. eventually ending up on the full
                              > declaration (or shortcutting by pressing a key to autocomplete (^P i guess
                              > !?)) and showing you its function declaration so you know the parameters...
                              >
                              > Has this been done elsewhere!?? I've tried searching but am not sure what to
                              > search for.. everything i've tried has come up with nothing... does it
                              > sound feasible?!?

                              Perhaps the preview window does most of what you want. You just have to
                              tell Vim what to fill it with. See ":help preview-window".

                              --
                              "Thou shalt not follow the Null Pointer, for at its end Chaos and
                              Madness lie."