RE: Run some perl - capture output - how?

  • Aldrich, Timothy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
      > I'm happily teaching myself Gvim and I come to the point
      > where I want to
      > run a perl script and capture the output in a buffer; in my previous
      > editor, SCiTE, I would hit F5 and the output window would fill with
      > stdout and stderr.
      >
      > Over to GVim and ":he perl" shows me some real interesting things but
      > not what I'm looking for. Then imagine my horror to read: -
      >[...]
      > Does this mean I can't execute my scripts and capture the
      > output without
      > leaving the comfort of my vim?
      <personal opinion>
      Oh please don't turn vim into .... that *other* editor !
      keep it small and fast , keep the terminal in the, well,
      terminal.
      </personal opinion>

      > How does everyone else do this (very common :) task?
      :!perl %

      R/S
      -----------------------
      Timothy Aldrich
      Credit | First
      Suisse | Boston
      Web Engineering
      -----------------------

      This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain sensitive and
      private proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or
      privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the
      intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from
      your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must
      not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any
      part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. CREDIT SUISSE
      GROUP and each legal entity in the CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON or CREDIT SUISSE
      ASSET MANAGEMENT business units of CREDIT SUISSE FIRST BOSTON reserve the
      right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views
      expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
      message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
      views of any such entity.
      Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message is
      indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an offer to
      deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of executed transactions
      should be treated as preliminary only and subject to our formal written
      confirmation.