Re: "set fo=taqm" in .vimrc doesn't produce expected behavior

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 30, 2003
      Marc Adler <com.adlerpacific@...> wrote:
      > * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [2003-09-29
      > 20:56]:
      > > Marc Adler <com.adlerpacific@...> wrote:
      > > > * Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...> [2003-09-29 19:03]:
      > > > >

      > > Beware of reintroducing it the next time you upgrade. Or take your
      > > Vim upgrades online rather than from the RH CDs. (IIRC, just
      > > yesterday I saw an announce about a version of Vim, freshly
      > > compiled and built onto RPM files compatible with RH systems.)
      >
      > Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by taking my upgrades online? Do
      > you mean upgrading from the new versions as they are announced on
      > www.vim.org?

      Yep. And not only on www.vim.org (which usually only has the unpatched
      release in binary, if you want the latest update from there you have to
      compile it yourself) but also third-party builds announced on vim@...

      > Also, you might have heard already, but there isn't going
      > to be RH 10. It has become Fedora. I wonder if they will also include
      > the line in the script.
      [...]

      I dodn't know. And I wonder too. I also wonder why they changed a
      widely-known and successful label. Havent they heard of "Don't change a
      winning team", or "If 't'ain' broke, don' fix it"?

    • Graydon
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2003
        On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 09:19:02PM -1000, Marc Adler scripsit:
        > Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by taking my upgrades online? Do
        > you mean upgrading from the new versions as they are announced on
        > www.vim.org? Also, you might have heard already, but there isn't going
        > to be RH 10. It has become Fedora. I wonder if they will also include
        > the line in the script.

        Speaking as someone who is running Fedora and who just removed it, I'd
        say that was a 'yes'.

        --
        oak@... | Uton we hycgan hwaer we ham agen,
        | ond thonne gedhencan he we thider cumen.
        | -- The Seafarer, ll. 117-118.
      • Marc Adler
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2003
          * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [2003-09-29 21:37]:
          > Marc Adler <com.adlerpacific@...> wrote:
          > > * Antoine J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> [2003-09-29
          > > 20:56]:
          > > > > >

          > > > Beware of reintroducing it the next time you upgrade. Or take your
          > > > Vim upgrades online rather than from the RH CDs. (IIRC, just
          > > > yesterday I saw an announce about a version of Vim, freshly
          > > > compiled and built onto RPM files compatible with RH systems.)
          > >
          > > Thanks for the tip. What do you mean by taking my upgrades online? Do
          > > you mean upgrading from the new versions as they are announced on
          > > www.vim.org?
          >
          > Yep. And not only on www.vim.org (which usually only has the unpatched
          > release in binary, if you want the latest update from there you have to
          > compile it yourself) but also third-party builds announced on vim@...
          >
          > > Also, you might have heard already, but there isn't going
          > > to be RH 10. It has become Fedora. I wonder if they will also include
          > > the line in the script.
          > [...]
          >
          > I dodn't know. And I wonder too. I also wonder why they changed a
          > widely-known and successful label. Havent they heard of "Don't change a
          > winning team", or "If 't'ain' broke, don' fix it"?

          Strange things are afoot at RH. I even heard them called the Microsoft
          of Linux the other day...

          Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

          --
          Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:26:01 -1000
          Linux 2.4.20-20.9

          You are a banana moon subverting the sun.

          -- the surreal compliment generator
          Marc Adler