Virtual Consoles and Ctrl-L

  • A. S. Budden
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2003
      Hi there,

      I've started using the virtual consoles in redhat 9 a lot (at least I
      think that's what you call them -- what you get when you type
      Ctrl-Alt-F1). However, I've been having some problems with vim updating
      it's screen. If I load a file and type :help, I have to then press
      Ctrl-L to get rid of all the leftovers from the file I'm editing. This
      happens in a lot of other circumstances as well -- I find I'm pressing
      Ctrl-L every few minutes or even more often sometimes.

      Can anyone help me with this problem -- it doesn't happen in my konsole
      window or in gvim. In konsole, TERM=xterm, in the 'virtual console',
      TERM=linux. I'm using a 1024x768 resolution console, from the kernel
      command line argument vga=791. I've asked this question recently on
      comp.os.linux.misc, but the conclusion there was that it was probably a
      vim problem. I occasionally had problems with w3m, but changing the
      terminal type for that seemed to cure it. Have tried variations on the
      themes:

      TERM=vt220 vim
      vim -T linux

      and things like that, but apart from losing my nice colour syntax
      highlighting in a lot of cases, it makes no difference.

      Many thanks in advance for your help,

      Al