Re: viminfo problem: E138: Can't write viminfo file [NULL]!

  • Ben Lavender
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
      45 minutes between initial posting and developer bug confirmation, fix
      intent, and workaround? This makes vim@... officially the coolest
      mailing list ever.

      Deleting old .viminf[a-z].tmp files cleared the problem right up. There
      were 26 of them (it seems I ran out of alphabet). a-g were all 8192 bytes,
      while h was 10211, and the rest were 0, if it helps.

      Thanks a ton,
      ben

      > Ben Lavender wrote:
      >
      > > I am having problem with .viminfo. I was happily editing along today,
      when
      > > I tried to do a double-Z on a file. I got this error:
      > >
      > > E138: Can't write viminfo file [NULL]!
      > > Hit ENTER or type command to continue
      >
      > That you get "NULL" here is a bug in the code. I'll fix that.
      >

      > > I can't remember if this was the first file I edited today or not, but I
      > > don't think it was. I certainly wasn't mucking with anything to do with
      > > vim.
      > >
      > > So I plug the error message into google, and all I find is one poor
      Austrian
      > > with the same problem I have and no responses to his message on
      > > LUG-Austria's mailing list.
      > >
      > > I played around with settings a bit, but couldn't make it go away. If I
      > > delete /root/.viminfo, (I am editing as root), I don't get the error one
      > > time, when the file is created. Thereafter, I get the error every time.
      > >
      > > What seems the most bizarre to me: Doing a ':wv /root/.viminfo' gives
      the
      > > same error. If I am reading the docs right, aren't I defining the file
      > > save to right there? How is it still NULL?
      > >
      > > System stuff: redhat 7.3, vim 6.1-18.
      > >
      > > Anything else I can check?
      >
      > Look for old temp files that were left behind: ~/.viminf*
      >
      > --
      > TALL KNIGHT: We are now no longer the Knights Who Say Ni!
      > ONE KNIGHT: Ni!
      > OTHERS: Sh!
      > ONE KNIGHT: (whispers) Sorry.
      > "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES
      LTD

      > /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net
      \\\
      > /// Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org