Re: grep problem

  • Eran
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2003
      On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

      > Dnia Sunday 07 of September 2003 18:52, Eran napisa³:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I'm running Vim 6.2 under Cygwin. When using the internal grep command, I
      > > sometimes get the resulting lines unaligned. That is, the
      > > resulting lines are not always aligned to the left. When I repeat exactly
      > > the same command again, I sometime get good results and sometimes bad
      > > results. Does anyone knows this problem ?
      >
      > First of all. This is not internal grep. This is grep from cygwin. Some time
      > ago Bram positively wrote about making real internal grep in Vim but I
      > don't know if it means only including somebody's patch or he will make it
      > himself :)
      >
      > Second: grep returns whole line, also whitespaces before "real" content.
      > Thus if these whitespaces _are_ in files everything is OK. Scary would be
      > is grep (or vim) adds something itself or removes them.
      >
      > m.

      Hi,

      Well, I think I found what the problem was. It seems that on Unix files,
      the grep command sometimes (not in a consistent manner) removed the
      carriage return character, which explains why the output is not aligned
      to the left. When I run the same grep command on the shell I get normal
      results, so I would guess that this is some kind of a bug (not
      necessarily in Vim).

      Eran