Redrawing in gVim incredibly slower than console version.

  • Pan Shizhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      Hello,

      I'm using gVim 6.2 on Windows 2000, and I also have Cygwin installed on
      my Windows and there is a console version of vim 6.2 in Cygwin.

      Everything works well until I changed for a big monitor with greater
      resolution. Now I'm using the font:

      set guifont=Lucida_Console:h18:cANSI

      With this size of font, the gVim becomes incredibly slow when scrolling
      the screen or redrawing.

      Since I am using console version of vim in Cygwin and gVim windows
      interchangeably, I noticed that the console version is much faster than
      gui version. Note I am using exactly the same font and size in my
      console and gui. The size is 24 in the cygwin console and that is
      equivalent to the 18 in gui version.

      --

      To indentify the problem I did some experiments, reduce the font size
      increases speed of gui,

      set guifont=Lucida_Console:h15:cANSI

      then the working speed in gui will be much faster, if I set the font to
      be 12, gui will become still faster. Only by setting the font to 12 can
      the gui version achieve the same speed with Console version.

      The problem seems to be that gVim do not have a very efficient algorithm
      to redrawing the window. This is not good, because font size 18 isn't
      very large and the same size can be handled in Mozilla, Word, Ultraedit,
      Cygwin console without difficulty. I'm using a P4 1.5G CPU with 16M
      display adapter memory, I don't think it should be that slow.

      If I had missed something, please enlighten me, Thanks in advance.

      Pan.