Why the gmane.editors.vim isn't list on www.vim.org?

  • Pan Shizhu
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
      Hello,

      I did found that http://www.vim.org/community.php didn't mentioned
      about gmane.editors.vim newsgroup, but the "famous persons" such as
      Bram, DrChip, Benji often appears here. it seems that this is the
      official Vim newsgroup (I prefer newsgroups to mailinglists), rather
      than the one in USENET.

      I've got a bit confused, and think the gmane.editors.vim might be a
      mirror for a mailinglist. post in the mail list will show in the
      gmane.editors.vim and vice versa. am I right? So what is the name of the
      maillinglist? (Something like asking "where am I?")

      Please enlighten me, thanks.

      Pan.
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        Pan Shizhu <s.pan@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I did found that http://www.vim.org/community.php didn't mentioned
        > about gmane.editors.vim newsgroup, but the "famous persons" such as
        > Bram, DrChip, Benji often appears here. it seems that this is the
        > official Vim newsgroup (I prefer newsgroups to mailinglists), rather
        > than the one in USENET.
        >
        > I've got a bit confused, and think the gmane.editors.vim might be a
        > mirror for a mailinglist. post in the mail list will show in the
        > gmane.editors.vim and vice versa. am I right? So what is the name of
        > the maillinglist? (Something like asking "where am I?")
        >
        > Please enlighten me, thanks.
        >
        > Pan.

        subscribe to it is described somewhere on the vim-online site starting at
        http://vim.sourceforge.net/

      • Pan Shizhu
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2003
          Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
          > Pan Shizhu <s.pan@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Hello,
          >>
          >>I did found that http://www.vim.org/community.php didn't mentioned
          >>about gmane.editors.vim newsgroup, but the "famous persons" such as
          >>Bram, DrChip, Benji often appears here. it seems that this is the
          >>official Vim newsgroup (I prefer newsgroups to mailinglists), rather
          >>than the one in USENET.
          >>
          >>I've got a bit confused, and think the gmane.editors.vim might be a
          >>mirror for a mailinglist. post in the mail list will show in the
          >>gmane.editors.vim and vice versa. am I right? So what is the name of
          >>the maillinglist? (Something like asking "where am I?")
          >>
          >>Please enlighten me, thanks.
          >>
          >>Pan.

          > subscribe to it is described somewhere on the vim-online site starting at
          > http://vim.sourceforge.net/
          >
          > Regards,
          > Tony.

          Thank you very much, I had been long searching for a newsgroup
          equivalent of mailling list vim@..., now I did realized that
          gmane.editors.vim is. And I will stick to it from now on.

          Regards.
          Pan.
        • Yakov Lerner
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
            Pan Shizhu wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I did found that http://www.vim.org/community.php didn't mentioned
            > about gmane.editors.vim newsgroup, but the "famous persons" such as
            > Bram, DrChip, Benji often appears here. it seems that this is the
            > official Vim newsgroup (I prefer newsgroups to mailinglists), rather
            > than the one in USENET.
            >
            > I've got a bit confused, and think the gmane.editors.vim might be a
            > mirror for a mailinglist. post in the mail list will show in the
            > gmane.editors.vim and vice versa. am I right? So what is the name of the
            > maillinglist? (Something like asking "where am I?")

            Only since August 18, 2003 gmane.org seems to have started archiving
            the vim@.... It's not even clear from this short history whether
            gmane.org accumulates the archive, or only allows to read the recent
            posts.

            Compared to two "canonic" archives which date back to 2000 or 1997
            gmane's editors.vim archive is too shallow. ( (1) archive at groups.yahoo.com
            dates back to 1997 and (2) archive at http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=vim&r=1&w=2,
            dates back to 2000)

            It's a pity that groups.google.com doesn't archive vim@... in its
            mailing.* hierarchy. Google has very versatile search expressions, superior
            to searches what both groups.yahoo and marc.theaimsgroup.com archives have.

            --
            Jacob Lerner