Re: ./configure vim when compiler is not in standard location

  • Russell Shaw
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Jose Quesada wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > Is there any way to tell the ./configure script to look for gcc and
      > libraries in a non-standard location? For example, istead of going for
      > /usr/local/bin, lib, etc, it should look in, e.g., $HOME/opt/bin
      > $HOME/opt/include $HOME/opt/share $HOME/opt/lib... etc.
      >
      > The system I''m using has gcc 2.7.2 only... i have gcc 3.3.1 in my home,
      > hence the question.
      >
      > THanks a lot in advance,
      > -Jose

      ./configure --help
    • Jose Quesada
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:08:34 +1000, Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...>
        wrote:

        > Jose Quesada wrote:
        >> Hi All,
        >>
        >> Is there any way to tell the ./configure script to look for gcc and
        >> libraries in a non-standard location? For example, istead of going for
        >> /usr/local/bin, lib, etc, it should look in, e.g., $HOME/opt/bin
        >> $HOME/opt/include $HOME/opt/share $HOME/opt/lib... etc.
        >>
        >> The system I''m using has gcc 2.7.2 only... i have gcc 3.3.1 in my
        >> home, hence the question.
        >>
        >> THanks a lot in advance,
        >> -Jose
        >

        > ./configure --help

        Russell,

        Thanks. I have tried the following:
        ./configure --prefix=$HOME/compile \
        --libdir=$EPREFIX/lib \
        --includedir=$PREFIX/include \
        --oldincludedir=/usr/include \
        --sysconfdir=$PREFIX/etc \
        --bindir=$EPREFIX/bin \
        --sbindir=$EPREFIX/sbin \
        --libexecdir=$EPREFIX/libexec \
        --enable-gtk=no \
        --enable-gtk2=no \
        --enable-gnome=no \
        --enable-motif=no \
        --enable-athena=no \
        --enable-nextaw=no \
        --disable-gtktest \
        --disable-acl \
        --disable-gpm \
        --disable-nls

        And, when make gets to syntax.c, I invariably get:
        gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/dt/include
        -g -O2
        -o objects/syntax.o
        syntax.c
        Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

        I have never seen that error before.
        Do you have any idea about why it happens?
        gcc 3.3, on a DEC alpha 4.0d

        Thanks,
        -Jose

        --
        Jose Quesada, PhD.

        quesadaj@... Research associate
        http://lsa.colorado.edu/~quesadaj Institute of Cognitive Science
        University of Colorado (Boulder)
        Muenzinger psychology building Phone:303 492 1522
        office D447A Fax: 303 492 7177
        Campus Box 344
        University of Colorado at Boulder
        Boulder, CO 80309-0344
      • Russell Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Jose Quesada wrote:
          > On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:08:34 +1000, Russell Shaw <rjshaw@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Jose Quesada wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi All,
          >
          > And, when make gets to syntax.c, I invariably get:
          > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/dt/include
          > -g -O2
          > -o objects/syntax.o syntax.c
          > Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
          >
          > I have never seen that error before.
          > Do you have any idea about why it happens?
          > gcc 3.3, on a DEC alpha 4.0d

          I don't know why. I'd try gcc-2.95.4 then. I've found a
          pretty basic bug in a previous version of gcc-3.x.
        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            Jose Quesada wrote:

            > Is there any way to tell the ./configure script to look for gcc and
            > libraries in a non-standard location? For example, istead of going for
            > /usr/local/bin, lib, etc, it should look in, e.g., $HOME/opt/bin
            > $HOME/opt/include $HOME/opt/share $HOME/opt/lib... etc.
            >
            > The system I''m using has gcc 2.7.2 only... i have gcc 3.3.1 in my home,
            > hence the question.

            You could try:

            setenv CC $HOME/opt/bin/cc
            make

            > And, when make gets to syntax.c, I invariably get:
            > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MOTIF -I/usr/dt/include
            > -g -O2
            > -o objects/syntax.o
            > syntax.c
            > Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

            This either means the compiler itself is broken or the hardware it runs
            on is broken (bad memory chips give the same error). If it's
            consistently happening in the same place then it's probably the
            compiler.

            --
            "Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
            -- Scott Adams, Dilbert.