Question on :split

  • Klaus Bosau
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2003
      Hi,

      I'm wondering whether there's a command that opens a new window to the
      left of the current window while still keeping the current windows's
      position on the screen..

      +----------------------------------------------

      | (x,y)
      | o----------------------+
      | | |
      | | |
      | | current |
      | | |
      | | |
      | | |

      +-----------------------------------------------

      | (x,y)
      | +------------o----------------------+
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | new | current |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2003
        > I'm wondering whether there's a command that opens a new window to the
        > left of the current window while still keeping the current windows's
        > position on the screen..
        >
        > +----------------------------------------------
        > |

        > | (x,y)
        > | o----------------------+
        > | | |
        > | | |
        > | | current |
        > | | |
        > | | |
        > | | |
        > | +----------------------+

        > +-----------------------------------------------
        > |

        > | (x,y)
        > | +------------o----------------------+
        > | | | |
        > | | | |
        > | | new | current |
        > | | | |
        > | | | |
        > | | | |
        > | +------------+----------------------+
        > |

        > Thanks in advance!
        >
        > KLaus

        IIUC, what you want is a command similar to :vsplit, but which would alter
        the gvim window's posieion and size to accomodate the new buffer window. If
        that is what you want, the answer (AFAIK) is no. The only ways (that I know
        of) to modify the gvim window's size and position from within gvim (i.e.,
        other than redimensioning with the mouse or with the System menu) are :set
        lines, :set column, and :winpos. The splitting mechanism (where ":leftabove
        vsplit" is the closest to what you ask that I can come up with) is something
        quite distinct.

      • Klaus Bosau
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2003
          On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
          > "Klaus Bosau" <kbosau@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> I'm wondering whether there's a command that opens a new window to the
          >> left of the current window while still keeping the current windows's
          >> position on the screen..
          >>
          >> [...]
          >
          > IIUC, what you want is a command similar to :vsplit, but which would
          > alter the gvim window's posieion and size to accomodate the new buffer
          > window. If that is what you want, the answer (AFAIK) is no. The only
          > ways (that I know of) to modify the gvim window's size and position
          > from within gvim (i.e., other than redimensioning with the mouse or
          > with the System menu) are :set lines, :set column, and :winpos. The
          > splitting mechanism (where ":leftabove vsplit" is the closest to what
          > you ask that I can come up with) is something quite distinct.

          Hi Antoine,

          I already noticed that Vim used to keep the upper left corner of the
          window when issuing ":vsp" or some related command. I just wondered
          whether this is common to all commands..

          Thanks anyway!

          Klaus