Re: Re(i)mapping word completion

  • Andrew Pimlott
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
      On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 08:24:59AM -0800, Tim Johnson wrote:
      > * Andrew Pimlott <vim@...> [030802 08:09]:
      > > I'm not sure exactly what you want to do. If you want to change
      > > what <Ctrl-P> and <Ctrl-N> do, you want something like
      > >
      > > :imap <C-P> ...
      > >
      > > If you want to use these "functions" in some other mapping, you want
      > > something like
      > >
      > > :inoremap ... ...<C-P>...
      >
      > Hi Andrew:
      > I have done that at times, but it disables word completion.
      >
      > So then - is there a a method whereby I can get Word Completion
      > and at the same time have Emacs-Style navigation in insert mode?

      Forgive me for not knowing exactly the emacs keybinding, but I
      assume you mean something like, let <C-P> and <C-N> move up and down
      a line in insert mode, and let some other key sequences (say, <F9>
      and <F10>) do word completion. You can achieve this with

      :imap <C-P> <C-O>k
      :imap <C-N> <C-O>j
      :inoremap <F9> <C-P>
      :inoremap <F10> <C-N>

      Use :help to read up on any of this that's unfamiliar.

      If you want it more emacs-esque, where you type M-x in insert mode
      and then get to type in a function name, I'm sure you can
      approximate this, but I'll let someone else figure out the details.

      > (I have a greater goal here - not sure that it is noble, but
      > I'm trying to put together a "stealth" method of acquainting
      > students with vim)

      Good luck. ;-)

      Andrew
    • Tim Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2003
        * Andrew Pimlott <vim@...> [030802 09:09]:
        <snip>
        > > Hi Andrew:
        > > I have done that at times, but it disables word completion.
        > >
        > > So then - is there a a method whereby I can get Word Completion
        > > and at the same time have Emacs-Style navigation in insert mode?
        >
        > Forgive me for not knowing exactly the emacs keybinding, but I
        > assume you mean something like, let <C-P> and <C-N> move up and down
        > a line in insert mode, and let some other key sequences (say, <F9>
        > and <F10>) do word completion. You can achieve this with

        Yes!

        > :imap <C-P> <C-O>k
        > :imap <C-N> <C-O>j
        > :inoremap <F9> <C-P>
        > :inoremap <F10> <C-N>

        That's what I was looking for. Does the trick alright.

        > Use :help to read up on any of this that's unfamiliar.
        >
        > If you want it more emacs-esque, where you type M-x in insert mode
        > and then get to type in a function name, I'm sure you can
        > approximate this, but I'll let someone else figure out the details.

        > > (I have a greater goal here - not sure that it is noble, but
        > > I'm trying to put together a "stealth" method of acquainting
        > > students with vim)
        >
        > Good luck. ;-)

        Hahaha! All we can do is try. Right? Thanks for all your
        help.
        ~tj~

        --
        Tim Johnson <tim@...>