Search and replace question

  • Kent Tenney
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
      Howdy,

      I have text using punctuation for underlining,

      Like This
      +++++++++

      How can I find all occurances of a character repeated more
      than once and replace them with the same number of a different
      character?

      Like This
      =========

      Thanks,
      Kent
    • Stefan Roemer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        On Fri, Aug 01, 2003, Kent Tenney wrote:
        > I have text using punctuation for underlining,
        >
        > Like This
        > +++++++++
        >
        > How can I find all occurances of a character repeated more
        > than once and replace them with the same number of a different
        > character?
        >
        > Like This
        > =========

        Try

        :%s/++\+/\=substitute(submatch(0),'+','=','g')/g

        Best regards

        Stefan
      • Kent Tenney
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
          Works great.

          Thanks for the instant solution.

          Kent

          Stefan Roemer wrote:

          > On Fri, Aug 01, 2003, Kent Tenney wrote:
          >
          >>I have text using punctuation for underlining,
          >>
          >>Like This
          >>+++++++++
          >>
          >>How can I find all occurances of a character repeated more
          >>than once and replace them with the same number of a different
          >>character?
          >>
          >>Like This
          >>=========
          >

          > Try
          >
          > :%s/++\+/\=substitute(submatch(0),'+','=','g')/g
          >
          > Best regards
          >
          > Stefan

        • Eric Leenman
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 15, 2005

            I have a file which outputs the following:

            [START OF FILE]
            Borland Delphi Version 14.0
            Copyright (c) 1983,2002 Borland Software Corporation

            grfColor.dpr(1)
            grfColor.dpr(12)
            grfColor.dpr(37)
            grfColor.dpr(37)

            GrfSysUtils.pas(3072)
            GrfSysUtils.pas(3187)

            Globals.pas(800)
            Globals.pas(867)

            grfColor.dpr(37)
            grfColor_TLB.pas(1)
            grfColor_TLB.pas(32)
            FormColorMain.pas(82)
            FormColorMain.pas(211) Warning: Constructing instance of 'TWaitingTaskThread' containing abstract method 'TThread.Execute'

            FormColorMain.pas(397)

            ColorCom.pas(163)
            ColorCom.pas(306) Warning: Return value of function 'TColorCom.AskNumOfColorCards' might be undefined

            ColorCom.pas(512)
            ColorCom.pas(1024)
            ColorCom.pas(318) Hint: Variable 'gArrayEric' is declared but never used in 'TColorCom.InitColorCard'

            ColorCom.pas(327) Hint: Variable 'lCamera' is declared but never used in 'TColorCom.InitColorCard'

            grfColor.dpr(37)
            grfColor.dpr(37)
            grfColor.dpr(37)
            grfColor.dpr(44)
            grfColor.dpr(55)
            37929 lines, 0.78 seconds, 177420 bytes code, 2497 bytes data.
            [END OF FILE]

            How to give the commands that delete:
            1) all empty lines?
            2) all lines which that end on '(<number>)' [might have a spaces after that] without having text after that?;

            So in the end I want to have left:

            [START OF FILE]
            Borland Delphi Version 14.0
            Copyright (c) 1983,2002 Borland Software Corporation
            FormColorMain.pas(211) Warning: Constructing instance of 'TWaitingTaskThread' containing abstract method 'TThread.Execute'
            ColorCom.pas(306) Warning: Return value of function 'TColorCom.AskNumOfColorCards' might be undefined
            ColorCom.pas(318) Hint: Variable 'gArrayEric' is declared but never used in 'TColorCom.InitColorCard'
            ColorCom.pas(327) Hint: Variable 'lCamera' is declared but never used in 'TColorCom.InitColorCard'
            37929 lines, 0.78 seconds, 177420 bytes code, 2497 bytes data.
            [END OF FILE]

            Best regards,

            Eric

            Disclaimer:
            De informatie verzonden met deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de geadresseerde is verboden. Greefa accepteert, mede gezien het onveilige karakter van berichten via internet, geen enkele juridische aansprakelijkheid voor de inhoud van dit bericht.
            The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. Use of this information , in whatever way, by others is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Greefa does not accept legal responsibility for this e-mail message due to the insecure nature of internet communications.
          • Otavio Correa Cordeiro
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 15, 2005
              Hi

              :g/^\s*$/d

              delete all blank lines :)

              Cya!

              --
              | Otávio Corrêa Cordeiro
              | Bacharel em Física Teórica - FURG/RS
              | Mestrando em Computação Aplicada - Unisinos - HP
              | CSHuV - Centro de Simulação de Humanos Virtuais
              | http://otavio.geek42.org/ - ICQ: 16458106
              | GNU/Linux #268791
            • Strohhaecker, Bernd
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 15, 2005
                Eric Leenman [mailto:ELeenman@...] wrote at Friday, April 15, 2005 1:40 PM:

                > How to give the commands that delete:
                > 1) all empty lines?
                > 2) all lines which that end on '(<number>)' [might have a
                > spaces after that] without having text after that?;

                1) :g/^\s*$/d
                2) :g/(\d\+)\s*$/d

                or with one command

                :g/\(^\|(\d\+)\)\s*$/d

                cu, Bernd
              • Mathias Michaelis
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 15, 2005
                  >> How to give the commands that delete: 1) all empty lines? 2)
                  >> all lines which that end on '(<number>)' [might have a spaces
                  >> after that] without having text after that?;

                  > delete all blank lines :)

                  And

                  (untested) should solve (1) and (2).

                  Regards