Re: vim 6.2 installation/compile error

  • Aschwin Marsman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2003
      On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Mark Thornber wrote:

      > At 20:53 02/07/03, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
      > >On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Mike Wang wrote:
      > >
      > > > Thanks, Aschwin. I changed the osdef.h per your suggestion and was
      > > able to compile the source codes.
      > >
      > >You're welcome. Can you send the declarations to the list, so that
      > >we can try to solve this problem without the need for manual
      > >patching the source?
      >

      > Interesting - I had a similar problem compiling vim6.2 on Solaris 8 using
      > gcc. The compile tripped up over strcasecmp first but as I hacked osdef.h
      > more and more declarations clashed. Also gcc whinged about system include
      > files being specified and it was changing the include order.
      >
      > In the end I moved to a box with Forte 6 installed and every thing worked fine.
      >

      > I came to the conclusion that configure was unable to detect a mixed system
      > - fine with all GNU (no problems on Debian) and fine with all Sun Forte 6
      > but not happy with gcc and solaris 8 include files.
      >
      > I can recreate the problem and post the definitive errors if needed.

      Please do so, if we are working on trying to solve these problems, we better
      solve the ones that looks the same. Which gcc version did you use?

      > HTH

      Have fun,

      Aschwin Marsman

      --
      aYniK Software Solutions all You need is Knowledge
      P.O. box 134 NL-7600 AC Almelo - the Netherlands
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2003
        At 09:02 03/07/03, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
        > > I can recreate the problem and post the definitive errors if needed.
        >
        >Please do so, if we are working on trying to solve these problems, we better
        >solve the ones that looks the same.

        Well - that left egg all over my face 8-/
        I checked in my log book and saw that the errors were when I was trying to
        build vim61. Soooo - I try with vim62 distribution and everything works.

        (-I/usr/local/include not explicitly called for on gcc line.)

        A quick diff of the configure scripts shows some extra code checking for
        /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib if gcc is being used.

        >Which gcc version did you use?
        3.1 - which I definitely ought to update - which is the latest (usable)
        version ?
        (The gcc command line has -fno-strength-reduce which is another thing added
        for vim62.)

        Sorry to have rattled cages unnecessarily.

        --
        MarkT
      • Aschwin Marsman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2003
          On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Mark Thornber wrote:

          > At 09:02 03/07/03, Aschwin Marsman wrote:
          > > > I can recreate the problem and post the definitive errors if needed.
          > >
          > >Please do so, if we are working on trying to solve these problems, we better
          > >solve the ones that looks the same.
          >
          > Well - that left egg all over my face 8-/
          > I checked in my log book and saw that the errors were when I was trying to
          > build vim61. Soooo - I try with vim62 distribution and everything works.
          >
          > (-I/usr/local/include not explicitly called for on gcc line.)
          >
          > A quick diff of the configure scripts shows some extra code checking for
          > /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib if gcc is being used.

          This was solved by the patches:
          6.1.080 gcc doesn't like adding /usr/local to the search path
          6.1.084 (depends on 6.1.080) mistake in configure check for gcc path

          > >Which gcc version did you use?
          > 3.1 - which I definitely ought to update - which is the latest (usable)
          > version ?
          > (The gcc command line has -fno-strength-reduce which is another thing added
          > for vim62.)

          This done with patches:
          6.1.104 gcc 3.1 has an optimizer problem, add argument to avoid it
          6.1.260 (depends on 6.1.104) gcc 3.2 has an optimizer bug
          6.1.270 (depends on 6.1.260) gcc 3.2.1 still has an optimizer bug

          > Sorry to have rattled cages unnecessarily.

          No problem, it's sorted out now.

          Have fun,

          Aschwin Marsman