Re: "Silent" loading of plugins.

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
      Christian Dysthe wrote:
      > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >

      >>Christian Dysthe wrote:
      >>
      >>>Hi,
      >>>
      >>>is it possible to have Vim load plug-ins without any output to the
      >>>terminal?
      >>
      >> I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about start-up,
      >> or after you have started editing?
      >

      > I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
      > sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff in
      > the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
      > was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts without
      > any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
      > like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet switches. I
      > thought something similar might be available in vim?

      I think that

      :silent source script.vim

      should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your vim
      scripts.

      :help :silent
      :help :source

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Christian Dysthe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
        On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > I think that
        >
        > :silent source script.vim

        i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
        > vim scripts.

        I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
        where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:

        autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

        Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
        every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
        sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
        this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
        something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
        removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
        would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
        like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.

        --
        //Christian
        Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/

        -- What if it all means something? --
      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
          On 2003-07-01, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > >
          > > I think that
          > >
          > > :silent source script.vim
          > >
          > i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
          > > vim scripts.
          >
          > I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
          > where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:
          >
          > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim
          >
          > Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
          > every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
          > sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
          > this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
          > something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
          > removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
          > would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
          > like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.
          > >
          > > :help :silent :help :source

          So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?

          autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

          This should also work:

          autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

          since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
          be loaded automatically.

          Gary

          --
          Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
          garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
          | Spokane, Washington, USA
        • Christian Dysthe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
            On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

            > So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?
            >
            > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

            Yes it did. I had to get the original plugin to check since I modified
            it.

            > This should also work:
            >
            > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

            Sure did! :)

            > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
            > be loaded automatically.

            It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
            system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
            there how do I make sure it loads silently?

            Thank you for your patience with me. I'm new to vim.. :)

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
              On 2003-07-02, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

              > > This should also work:
              > >
              > > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec
              >
              > Sure did! :)
              > >
              > > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
              > > be loaded automatically.
              >
              > It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
              > system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
              > there how do I make sure it loads silently?

              :help runtimepath

              shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
              is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
              automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
              /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
              print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
              only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
              experimentation.

              So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
              you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
              you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
              and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

              Gary

              --
              Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
              garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
              | Spokane, Washington, USA
            • Christian Dysthe
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                On Wed, 02 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                > :help runtimepath
                >
                > shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
                > is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
                > automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
                > /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
                > print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
                > only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
                > experimentation.
                >
                > So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
                > you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
                > you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
                > and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

                I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                added this to .vimrc:

                autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec

                Now the spell checker is silently loaded and ready to go for mail and
                all other files I open with vim. I do not have to enter the \ec
                command to activate it. I guess I now can work on excluding certain
                file types from spell checking also if needed.

                --
                //Christian
                Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/

                -- What if it all means something? --
              • Antoine J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                  Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  > I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                  > checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                  > to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                  > spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                  > added this to .vimrc:
                  >
                  > autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec
                  [...]

                  Shouldn't BufRead,BufNewFile (and maybe limited to the filenames you want to
                  spell-check) be enough? (After all, IIUC, you don't need to have the
                  activate command issued whenever you leave the text buffer [for instance to
                  display some help] and go back to it).