Re: "Silent" loading of plugins.

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
      Christian Dysthe wrote:
      > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
      >

      >>Christian Dysthe wrote:
      >>
      >>>Hi,
      >>>
      >>>is it possible to have Vim load plug-ins without any output to the
      >>>terminal?
      >>
      >> I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about start-up,
      >> or after you have started editing?
      >

      > I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
      > sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff in
      > the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
      > was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts without
      > any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
      > like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet switches. I
      > thought something similar might be available in vim?

      I think that

      :silent source script.vim

      should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your vim
      scripts.

      :help :silent
      :help :source

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
        Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > Christian Dysthe wrote:

        > > > I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about
        > > > start-up, or after you have started editing?
        > >

        > > I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
        > > sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff
        > > in
        > > the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
        > > was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts
        > > without
        > > any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
        > > like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet
        > > switches. I thought something similar might be available in vim?
        >
        > I think that
        >
        > > silent source script.vim
        >
        > should work. You are still not giving many details about how you
        > load your vim scripts.
        >
        > > help :silent
        > > help :source
        >
        > HTH --Benji Fisher

        That may be all right for files you source explicitly. But what about global
        plugins (which are sourced automatically at the end of startup) and filetype
        plugins (which are sourced automatically if enabled, when the filetype is
        set IIUC)?

      • Christian Dysthe
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
          On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

          > I think that
          >
          > :silent source script.vim

          i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
          > vim scripts.

          I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
          where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:

          autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

          Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
          every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
          sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
          this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
          something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
          removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
          would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
          like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.

          --
          //Christian
          Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/

          -- What if it all means something? --
        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
            On 2003-07-01, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
            > >
            > > I think that
            > >
            > > :silent source script.vim
            > >
            > i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
            > > vim scripts.
            >
            > I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
            > where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:
            >
            > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim
            >
            > Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
            > every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
            > sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
            > this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
            > something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
            > removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
            > would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
            > like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.
            > >
            > > :help :silent :help :source

            So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?

            autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

            This should also work:

            autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

            since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
            be loaded automatically.

            Gary

            --
            Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
            garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
            | Spokane, Washington, USA
          • Christian Dysthe
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
              On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

              > So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?
              >
              > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

              Yes it did. I had to get the original plugin to check since I modified
              it.

              > This should also work:
              >
              > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

              Sure did! :)

              > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
              > be loaded automatically.

              It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
              system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
              there how do I make sure it loads silently?

              Thank you for your patience with me. I'm new to vim.. :)

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                On 2003-07-02, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
                > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                > > This should also work:
                > >
                > > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec
                >
                > Sure did! :)
                > >
                > > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
                > > be loaded automatically.
                >
                > It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
                > system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
                > there how do I make sure it loads silently?

                :help runtimepath

                shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
                is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
                automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
                /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
                print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
                only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
                experimentation.

                So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
                you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
                you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
                and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

                Gary

                --
                Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
                | Spokane, Washington, USA
              • Christian Dysthe
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                  On Wed, 02 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                  > :help runtimepath
                  >
                  > shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
                  > is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
                  > automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
                  > /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
                  > print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
                  > only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
                  > experimentation.
                  >
                  > So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
                  > you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
                  > you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
                  > and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

                  I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                  checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                  to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                  spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                  added this to .vimrc:

                  autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec

                  Now the spell checker is silently loaded and ready to go for mail and
                  all other files I open with vim. I do not have to enter the \ec
                  command to activate it. I guess I now can work on excluding certain
                  file types from spell checking also if needed.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                    Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
                    [...]
                    > I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                    > checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                    > to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                    > spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                    > added this to .vimrc:
                    >
                    > autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec
                    [...]

                    Shouldn't BufRead,BufNewFile (and maybe limited to the filenames you want to
                    spell-check) be enough? (After all, IIUC, you don't need to have the
                    activate command issued whenever you leave the text buffer [for instance to
                    display some help] and go back to it).