Terminal Programs

  • Michael Metzger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      All,
      I am looking for a replace for my PuTTy terminal program, which I work with VIM in. For those who are not familar with PuTTy, it is a SSH terminal program that can connect to various servers.

      Does anyone know of any SSH freeware (open-source) program so I can run VIM in without having to mess with termcap settings.
    • Bowie Bailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
        From: Michael Metzger [mailto:MMetzger@...]

        > All,
        > I am looking for a replace for my PuTTy terminal program,
        > which I work with VIM in. For those who are not familar with
        > PuTTy, it is a SSH terminal program that can connect to
        > various servers.
        >
        > Does anyone know of any SSH freeware (open-source) program so
        > I can run VIM in without having to mess with termcap settings.

        I haven't found anything that works as well as PuTTY. It works
        perfectly for me without messing with any termcap settings.

        If you are having problems, maybe you should try experimenting with
        various settings for $TERM and the keyboard settings in PuTTY. I
        have TERM=xterm and the keyboard settings in PuTTY at their defaults.

        Bowie
      • Michael Metzger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
          Bowie,
          Does your numeric pad on the {rhs} of the keyboard work correctly? Perhaps it is the termcap entry on the unix machine I trying to connect to that is the problem. It is using FreeBSD 4.4.

          Michael

          From: Michael Metzger [mailto:MMetzger@...]

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
            From: Michael Metzger [mailto:MMetzger@...]

            > Bowie,
            > Does your numeric pad on the {rhs} of the keyboard work
            > correctly? Perhaps it is the termcap entry on the unix
            > machine I trying to connect to that is the problem. It is
            > using FreeBSD 4.4.
            >
            > Michael

            > I haven't found anything that works as well as PuTTY. It works
            > perfectly for me without messing with any termcap settings.
            >
            > If you are having problems, maybe you should try experimenting with
            > various settings for $TERM and the keyboard settings in PuTTY. I
            > have TERM=xterm and the keyboard settings in PuTTY at their defaults.

            No, my numeric pad doesn't work properly. I don't think I've ever
            tried to use it in Vim before. It seems to be acting like another
            set of function keys. My function keys work fine, I think. I don't
            generally use them either. I'm using RH Linux 7, so my system may
            behave a bit differently than yours.

            Bowie
          • Colin Keith
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
              On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:46:23AM -0400, Michael Metzger wrote:
              > Does your numeric pad on the {rhs} of the keyboard work correctly?
              > Perhaps it is the termcap entry on the unix machine I trying to connect
              > to that is the problem. It is using FreeBSD 4.4.

              I'm on 4.5-release and it works fine. PuTTY answers "xterm" to ^E and the
              "Application Keypad" settings are set to "normal". When numlock is on I get
              numbers on the terminal, and when its off the arrow keys are used as arrows
              in the shell and in vim. The only odd thing is that it doesn't print
              numbers in Vim, it sends the sequence ^[Oq (or p, s, t, etc)

              This is easy to fix in vim with:

              set <k1>=^V^[Oq

              I.e. <ctrl-v><keypad 1 in numlock mode>

              Obviously you need to set these for all of them. There might be a better
              way, but I never use the keypad in Vim as I've got a set of arrow keys on
              my keyboard as well so I don't know what it is :)

              Col.