vim & ftp (contd)

  • William Norris
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      I know there has been much discussion regarding vim and ftp lately, but
      I would like to pose an additional question on the subject...

      --the problem--
      to echo what a few others have said, I also like to keep a local file
      for projects in case the remote one is lost for whatever reason.
      However, I like the ease of editing via FTP - not having to switch out
      to another program to upload the file. Under my present understanding
      of vim's ftp editing, there is no easy way to maintain a local copy of
      files while keeping things as simple as they are now.

      --solution A--
      When editing a remote file, vim has to download the file to a local
      temporary location. that local file is then saved with any changes and
      subsequently uploaded back to the remote server. Since vim is having to
      store the file locally anyway, why not make it a permanent storage
      location rather than temporary?

      --solution B--
      I am presently using Dreamweaver on my winXP box to work on websites.
      In DW, i can press Ctrl-Shift-U to upload the present file to a remote
      server (or optionally automatically upload whenever the file is saved).
      What would be involved in defining a function to do something similar?
      Granted, DW creates 'project' files that hold ftp info as well as other
      data, a vim solution could be as simple as something like apache's
      .htaccess files. for example, vim would begin in the current diretory
      looking for .ftpinfo and work recursively upward until a match was
      found.

      I'm curious to get some feedback on this... Is some kind of similar
      functionality already out there and I haven't found it yet? pros/cons
      of these two [and any other] options?

      Personally, I tend to lean toward the second one... it seems that it
      would be much easier (A would require a patch on vim's ftp functionality
      I believe), and would also allow for "offline" editing of files to be
      uploaded later.

      -will

      PS any way to keep vim from moving the cursor back to the top when I
      save a file via ftp? I'd like to be able to save midway, and then
      continue editing w/o having to move the cursor back to where i had it.

      --
      William Norris
      will@...