Re: replacing word with last yanked word?

  • Peter Palm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003

      > Is is possible to accomplish the following in a simpler way:
      >
      > 1. Delete a word via "dw"
      > 2. Yank a replacement word from some other location by moving there and
      > then doing a "yw"
      > 3. Return to the site of the deleted word and paste the yanked word via
      > "p"
      >
      > Ideally it should work like:
      >
      > 1. Yank a replacement word from some location via "yw"
      > 2. Move to word to replace, then replace it with "?p"

      What I normally do: cw<C-R>"<ESC>
      which "changes the word" to the contents of register " (the default
      copy-paste register) (:help registers)

      Peter
    • bps8@daimlerchrysler.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
        Peter Palm
        <peterp@...> To: Steven Dodd <Steven.Dodd@...>
        cc: vim@...
        07/01/2003 05:55 Subject: Re: replacing word with last yanked word?
        AM

        > Is is possible to accomplish the following in a simpler way:
        >
        > 1. Delete a word via "dw"
        > 2. Yank a replacement word from some other location by moving there and
        > then doing a "yw"
        > 3. Return to the site of the deleted word and paste the yanked word via
        > "p"
        >
        > Ideally it should work like:
        >
        > 1. Yank a replacement word from some location via "yw"
        > 2. Move to word to replace, then replace it with "?p"

        >What I normally do: cw<C-R>"<ESC>
        >which "changes the word" to the contents of register " (the default
        >copy-paste register) (:help registers)

        The above will not quite work, because the cw replaces the replacement text
        in the " register with the text you were trying to replace. Use the 0
        register instead, which holds the latest copy, and doesn't get replaced by
        a command that deletes text.

        Brett S.

        >Peter
      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2003
          Steven Dodd wrote:
          > Is is possible to accomplish the following in a simpler way:
          >
          > 1. Delete a word via "dw"
          > 2. Yank a replacement word from some other location by moving there and
          > then doing a "yw"
          > 3. Return to the site of the deleted word and paste the yanked word via
          > "p"
          >
          > Ideally it should work like:
          >
          > 1. Yank a replacement word from some location via "yw"
          > 2. Move to word to replace, then replace it with "?p"

          Try "ve" (or some variant) to select the word in Visual mode and then "p".
          Alternatively, try "ce<C-R>0<Esc>" or 'de"0p' or '"_dep' .

          :help v_p
          :help registers

          HTH --Benji Fisher