Re: "Silent" loading of plugins.

  • Christian Dysthe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2003
      On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Christian Dysthe wrote:
      > >Hi,
      > >
      > >is it possible to have Vim load plug-ins without any output to the
      > >terminal?
      >
      > I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about start-up,
      > or after you have started editing?

      I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
      sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff in
      the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
      was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts without
      any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
      like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet switches. I
      thought something similar might be available in vim?

      --
      //Christian
      Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/

      -- What if it all means something? --
    • Benji Fisher
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
        Christian Dysthe wrote:
        > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
        >

        >>Christian Dysthe wrote:
        >>
        >>>Hi,
        >>>
        >>>is it possible to have Vim load plug-ins without any output to the
        >>>terminal?
        >>
        >> I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about start-up,
        >> or after you have started editing?
        >

        > I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
        > sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff in
        > the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
        > was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts without
        > any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
        > like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet switches. I
        > thought something similar might be available in vim?

        I think that

        :silent source script.vim

        should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your vim
        scripts.

        :help :silent
        :help :source

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Antoine J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
          Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          > Christian Dysthe wrote:

          > > > I am not sure what output you mean. Are you talking about
          > > > start-up, or after you have started editing?
          > >

          > > I looked into this some more and found that the spell checker itself
          > > sends all this output to the terminal. I removed all the echo stuff
          > > in
          > > the script and now it loads without without output. However, what I
          > > was wondering was if there's a way to load vim plug-in scripts
          > > without
          > > any output. A lot of applications and scripts I use have this option
          > > like for instance 'make' that has the --silent and --quiet
          > > switches. I thought something similar might be available in vim?
          >
          > I think that
          >
          > > silent source script.vim
          >
          > should work. You are still not giving many details about how you
          > load your vim scripts.
          >
          > > help :silent
          > > help :source
          >
          > HTH --Benji Fisher

          That may be all right for files you source explicitly. But what about global
          plugins (which are sourced automatically at the end of startup) and filetype
          plugins (which are sourced automatically if enabled, when the filetype is
          set IIUC)?

        • Christian Dysthe
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
            On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

            > I think that
            >
            > :silent source script.vim

            i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
            > vim scripts.

            I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
            where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:

            autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

            Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
            every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
            sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
            this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
            something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
            removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
            would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
            like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.

            --
            //Christian
            Registered Linux User #228949 at: http://counter.li.org/

            -- What if it all means something? --
          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2003
              On 2003-07-01, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
              > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:
              > >
              > > I think that
              > >
              > > :silent source script.vim
              > >
              > i> should work. You are still not giving many details about how you load your
              > > vim scripts.
              >
              > I want this spell checker plug-in to load when I edit mail in mutt
              > where vim is set as editor. I have this in my .vimrc:
              >
              > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim
              >
              > Since this is a spell checker I want it to load and do it's thing
              > every time my email client (mutt) opens vim for email editing without
              > sending anything to the terminal. Since I am opening vim from mutt in
              > this case the terminal output from the script is annoying and not
              > something I want to see every time I write or reply to email. Again,
              > removing all the output stuff from the script did the trick, but I
              > would like to know if it's possible to load plug-ins without a hack
              > like the one I did by removing all of the scripts output.
              > >
              > > :help :silent :help :source

              So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?

              autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

              This should also work:

              autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

              since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
              be loaded automatically.

              Gary

              --
              Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
              garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
              | Spokane, Washington, USA
            • Christian Dysthe
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                > So, did adding 'silent' to your autocommand like this work or not?
                >
                > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent so ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim

                Yes it did. I had to get the original plugin to check since I modified
                it.

                > This should also work:
                >
                > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec

                Sure did! :)

                > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
                > be loaded automatically.

                It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
                system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
                there how do I make sure it loads silently?

                Thank you for your patience with me. I'm new to vim.. :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2003
                  On 2003-07-02, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
                  > On Tue, 01 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                  > > This should also work:
                  > >
                  > > autocmd BufRead $HOME/.temp/mutt* silent normal \ec
                  >
                  > Sure did! :)
                  > >
                  > > since, being in your plugin directory, engspchk.vim should already
                  > > be loaded automatically.
                  >
                  > It's in my home plugin dir but it doesn't load unless I put it in the
                  > system plugin directory: /usr/share/vim/plugin However, if I put it
                  > there how do I make sure it loads silently?

                  :help runtimepath

                  shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
                  is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
                  automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
                  /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
                  print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
                  only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
                  experimentation.

                  So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
                  you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
                  you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
                  and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

                  Gary

                  --
                  Gary Johnson | Agilent Technologies
                  garyjohn@... | Wireless Division
                  | Spokane, Washington, USA
                • Christian Dysthe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                    On Wed, 02 Jul 2003, Gary Johnson wrote:

                    > :help runtimepath
                    >
                    > shows the list of places from which vim loads plugins. Unless there
                    > is something wrong with your setup, engspchk.vim should load
                    > automatically just as well from ~/.vim/plugin/engspchk.vim as from
                    > /usr/share/vim/plugin. Note, however, that the plugin does not
                    > print all those messages the first time it loads--it prints them
                    > only on subsequent loads or when \ec is executed, at least in my
                    > experimentation.
                    >
                    > So, do you have engspchk.vim in _only_ /usr/share/vim/plugin or do
                    > you have it in both ~/.vim/plugin _and_ /usr/share/vim/plugin? If
                    > you have it in both places, it will be loaded automatically twice
                    > and will print those messages the second time it is loaded.

                    I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                    checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                    to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                    spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                    added this to .vimrc:

                    autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec

                    Now the spell checker is silently loaded and ready to go for mail and
                    all other files I open with vim. I do not have to enter the \ec
                    command to activate it. I guess I now can work on excluding certain
                    file types from spell checking also if needed.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2003
                      Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:
                      [...]
                      > I only have it in ~/.vim/plugin. What confused me was that the spell
                      > checker actually loads, but the \ec command needs to be issued for it
                      > to be working on the buffer. However, since I want vim to have the
                      > spell checker not only loaded, but also have it check as I type I have
                      > added this to .vimrc:
                      >
                      > autocmd BufEnter * silent normal \ec
                      [...]

                      Shouldn't BufRead,BufNewFile (and maybe limited to the filenames you want to
                      spell-check) be enough? (After all, IIUC, you don't need to have the
                      activate command issued whenever you leave the text buffer [for instance to
                      display some help] and go back to it).