Re: debugging in windows?

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      Patrick Nichols wrote:

      > Does anyone know how one might run a debugger such as jdb through vim, on
      > windows, without using cygwin? There are a couple of debugger plug ins, but
      > these both require either linux or cygwin.
      >
      > Is such a thing even possible? I'm guessing that it just won't work, since
      > there's no way to have vim start a shell process and then "return" to that
      > process. When vim fires up jdb with the regular :sh command, the jdb command
      > line opens in a new command prompt window and there no way for vim to send
      > any more keystrokes into that windows.
      >
      > On the other hand, if you run a separate shell (i.e. with "!start jdb") on
      > the command line, then there's no way to send any keys into that window
      > either.
      >
      > I'm just hoping to verify that this is indeed impossible with vim, so I can
      > stop banging my head against the wall.

      What comes closest is Agide: The A-A-P GUI IDE. This application runs
      gdb in one window and Vim in another. In Vim you can set breakpoints,
      View variable values, etc.

      Agide has recently been made to work on MS-Windows. Most things should
      work now. An explanation of how you can make it work was written by
      Sergey Khorev:

      http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2652951&forum_id=12396

      The changes mentioned for Agide have been included, thus you don't need
      to patch Agide itself. You still need to patch Vim to make it work.

      More information about Agide here: http://www.agide.org

      260. Co-workers have to E-mail you about the fire alarm to get
      you out of the building.