Re: Unable To Upgrade

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22 8:46 PM
      SoloCDM wrote:
      > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Benji Fisher wrote:

      [snip]
      >> My guess is that the pre-installed version included a system vimrc file
      >>that (in addition to a lot of old cruft) enabled syntax highlighting for you.
      [snip]

      > Why, I don't know, the expected .vimrc attached file did not connect
      > with the message when I sent my last posting. It is attached to this
      > message.
      >
      > I entered source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim in .vimrc and nothing
      > happended. I renamed ~/.vimrc to a different filename, not recognized
      > by Vim, and the color syntax appeared. What is that all about? Now I
      > don't have a ~/.vimrc file.

      The file you attached confirms my remark about "cruft". That file started
      out as vimrc_example.vim in vim 5.x (or earlier), then was edited by Red Hat and
      installed as the system vimrc file. A lot of it is now obsolete.

      My advice is to get rid of that file. Start from scratch, either as
      advised in other posts on this thread or with just the line

      source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim

      If you still have a system vimrc file, get rid of that, too. Then, if you still
      have troubles, make sure that

      :echo $VIM
      :echo $VIMRUNTIME

      produce reasonable results, test whether

      :syntax on

      at the command line works properly, etc.

      HTH --Benji Fisher