grep question

  • jonah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      I want to use vim's :grep command to search for the
      following string:

      cfmodule template="..

      I'm using cygwin's grep on windows I have
      grepprg=grep -Hin

      However, I'm having trouble trying to escape the
      double quotes and the periods. I've tried
      all of the following, and in every case grep
      is returning too much (results like 'cfmodule template="whatever'
      do not get filtered):

      :sil! grep -R "cfmodule template=\"\.\." * | cw
      :sil! grep -R 'cfmodule template="\.\.' * | cw
      :sil! grep -R 'cfmodule template=\\"\\.\\.' * | cw

      What am I doing wrong? I know this may be a grep,
      rather than a vim, question, but as far as I could
      tell from grep's man page at least one of these
      should have worked.

      thanks,
      jonah