6.2: command line options (like +) appear as ex commands

  • Neil Bird
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
      In the Tornado IDE we're currently using, I have Vim set up as
      external editor:

      "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim62\gvim.exe" --cmd "exe 'cd '
      fnamemodify('$filename',':p:h')" --servername tornado --remote-silent
      +$lineno $filename

      This used to work no probs., but now vim seems to be displaying those
      command line commands as if I'd typed 'em, and asks for a prompt before
      I can edit:

      :cd -
      :2235
      :call foreground()

      Hit ENTER or type command to continue

      Am I missing an option now?

      --
      [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
      [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2003
        Neil Bird wrote:

        > In the Tornado IDE we're currently using, I have Vim set up as
        > external editor:
        >
        > "D:\Program Files\Vim\vim62\gvim.exe" --cmd "exe 'cd '
        > fnamemodify('$filename',':p:h')" --servername tornado --remote-silent
        > +$lineno $filename
        >

        > This used to work no probs., but now vim seems to be displaying those
        > command line commands as if I'd typed 'em, and asks for a prompt before
        > I can edit:
        >
        > :cd -
        > :2235
        > :call foreground()
        >
        > Hit ENTER or type command to continue
        >

        > Am I missing an option now?

        I cannot reproduce this. Did you try adding "-u NONE -U NONE"? If that
        helps it must be something in your startup scripts.

        48. You get a tatoo that says "This body best viewed with Netscape 3.1 or
        higher."

      • Neil Bird
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
          Around about 02/06/2003 20:22, Bram Moolenaar typed ...
          >>"D:\Program Files\Vim\vim62\gvim.exe" --cmd "exe 'cd '
          >>fnamemodify('$filename',':p:h')" --servername tornado --remote-silent
          >>+$lineno $filename
          >>
          >>:cd -
          >>:2235
          >>:call foreground()
          >>
          > I cannot reproduce this. Did you try adding "-u NONE -U NONE"? If that
          > helps it must be something in your startup scripts.

          This is going to be painful :-(

          I don't think I'm going to find that it's any one thing in
          particular, but some odd combination. If I run it from the cmd prompt
          (note again that I've not changed anything except move 6.1->6.2), then
          it seems to trigger or not trigger dependant upon filetype.

          Aha, I thought, esp. as (as suggested) -U NONE -u NONE doesn't
          reproduce it. However, there seems to be no one specific thing that
          makes it happen: moving my vimfiles stuff in & out of the path doesn't
          pin it down exactly.

          At elast, for cpp files, I've found two things that trigger it;
          e.g., my vimfiles/after/syntax/cpp,vim:

          if mapcheck('<bs>','i') == ''
          <C-R>=<SID>CppInsertBackspace()<cr>
          endif

          " Backspace at end of line after auto-inserted commentstring '// ' wipes it
          function! s:CppInsertBackspace()
          let line = getline('.')
          if col('.') > strlen(line) && match(line,'// $') != -1 &&
          match(&comments,'//') != -1
          else
          return "\<bs>"
          endif
          endfunction

          If I comment out that function def., I can stop it happening ...
          until I move another set of defs. in as well. I'll follow up on those,
          but I suspect it'll be the same sort of thing.

          If I stare at start up, I *always* see these commands get displayed
          (-U/-u NONE maybe - comes up too quickly to be certain), it's just in
          some instances they generate a prompt. I feel certain that I have seen
          these commands in the history before (6.1) as well - they seem transient
          in 6.2, as :<up> doesn't show them.

          I'll report back if I find anything that makes sense :-/

          --
          [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
          [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
            Around about 03/06/2003 09:05, Neil Bird typed ...
            > I'll report back if I find anything that makes sense :-/

            Nope, I'm stuck :-(

            The other thing whose removal 'stopped' the problem was Dr. Chips C
            Stubs plugin - and again, it was the mere 'function! <SID>' existence
            that did it.

            There are no messages, and (oddly) with -V I don't see the output
            that normally causes the prompt (:call foreground() etc.) - unless
            that's lost in the 'truncated...' bit of the popup you get from Win32
            gvim initially.

            I get a few lines over verbosity in the gvim window that's then wiped
            (but seem to end up in :messages) then a page full (+ prompt) then
            another partial page (but no prompt). I've stepped through this and
            can't see the aforementioned output.

            The only common factor seems to be an ftplugin-defined <SID>
            function. If I use the same IDE/mechanism to edit a file for which I
            have no ftplugin (e.g., .s ASM) it comes up OK.

            One more thing to check ...

            HA! If I don't set 'lazyredraw' in my _vimrc the problem doesn't
            occur. Does that help, Bram?

            --
            [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
            [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
              Neil Bird wrote:

              > HA! If I don't set 'lazyredraw' in my _vimrc the problem doesn't
              > occur. Does that help, Bram?

              The rules for when to use the hit-enter prompt are quite complicated.
              Sometimes a message disappears that you wanted to see, sometimes the
              prompt appears when you don't want it.

              I think what happens when 'lazyredraw' is set is that there are still
              messages on the screen that would otherwise been removed by redrawing.
              Then you get the hit-enter prompt for the messages.

              I don't have time to figure out what exactly happens...
              Perhaps a ":redraw!" somewhere fixes your problem without resetting
              'lazyredraw'.

              75. You start wondering whether you could actually upgrade your brain
              with a Pentium Pro microprocessor 80. The upgrade works just fine.

            • Neil Bird
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2003
                Around about 03/06/2003 20:28, Bram Moolenaar typed ...
                > Perhaps a ":redraw!" somewhere fixes your problem without resetting
                > 'lazyredraw'.

                It's awkward figuring out where it would go; the [automatic] lines
                that are appearing (e.g., :call foreground()) never normally appear, do
                they? They certainly don't go in the history.

                --
                [neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
                [neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature