searching argument list

  • jonah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      I am looking for a script (or ideas on how to make a script)
      that would allow searching all files in the argument list
      for a pattern, and display the results in a quickfix window.

      Essentially, a native vim equivalent for:

      :sil! grep -R "pattern" * | cw

      Unlike grep, a native vim solution would allow using vim's
      extra regular expression operators (like \@=).

      It wouldn't be to difficult to loop thru the argument list
      and use search() to get the appropriate line numbers and
      getline() to get their contents. My problem is that I don't
      know what format the input for "cw" is supposed to take.
      That is, I don't really understand what's going on in
      the above command when the grep command is concatenated
      with the cw command.

      Can anyone explain this?

      Thanks,
      jonah