Re: lost settings with new vim/gvim

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > Safest, but most labour-intensive, would start with printing (on paper) a
      > directory listing of the full tree starting at /usr/share/vim/ (this would
      > include both the old and new locations), then compare them by hand, noting
      > which files are absent where, and what the dates are on those that are
      > present on both sides. I think you can copy a file to a directory which
      > doesn't have it, or maybe a later file onto an older one, but I don't take
      > any responsibilities: it is your system, the final decision is yours.
      >
      > Maybe someone will come around with an easier solution.

      The two $VIMRUNTIME directories *should* be pretty much the same. (How
      many times have we advised people on this list not to change or add files under
      $VIMRUNTIME? Exception: when you get an updated version of one of the
      "official" runtime files.) If you got a distribution of vim from someone like
      Red Hat, there may be a system vimrc (and/or gvimrc) file, and you can tell that
      by reading the output of

      :version

      If you really want to compare what files there are, I think that

      $ diff -c -R /usr/share/vim /usr/local/share/vim | more

      is easier than making hard copies.

      HTH --Benji Fisher