Built in Spell Checker?

  • Tim Holmes
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      Was talking to a friend earlier, who just so happen to have mentioned
      that he loves ViM, though he wished it had a built in spell checker.

      I mentioned how he could set up a small macro, (Amongst other things)
      to have whatever he was working on, spell checked. He of course knew
      this being a big ViM fan, but said he wished there was something
      like a /SPELL implemented. Has anything like this been looked into
      or not implemented for any reason?

      Thanks!
      tdh

      --
      ----------------+-------------------------------------------------
      \./ | Tim Holmes -- em@il: timh@...
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        Tim Holmes <timh@...> wrote:
        > Was talking to a friend earlier, who just so happen to have mentioned
        > that he loves ViM, though he wished it had a built in spell checker.
        >
        > I mentioned how he could set up a small macro, (Amongst other things)
        > to have whatever he was working on, spell checked. He of course knew
        > this being a big ViM fan, but said he wished there was something
        > like a /SPELL implemented. Has anything like this been looked into
        > or not implemented for any reason?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > tdh
        >
        > --
        > ----------------+-------------------------------------------------
        > \./ | Tim Holmes -- em@il: timh@...
        > (0Y0) | UIN: 17021091
        > -ooO--(_)--Ooo--+-------------------------------------------------

        Maybe what you want is engspchk.vim (for English); it also exists for a few
        other languages. Note that (unless you want to enter every conjugated form
        of all French verbs, or every inflected form of all Finnish substantives,
        into your dictionary, which would make it overly bulky) spell checking is
        heavily language-dependent, and it is not as simple as just replacing a
        message in one language by one in another (which Vim already has). Bram's
        mother language is (I think) Dutch, mine is French, and many Vim users are
        aware of the fact that English is not the only language on Earth, nor even
        on the Net. ;-).

        Tony.
      • Heiko Schwarzenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2003
          > Was talking to a friend earlier, who just so happen to have mentioned
          > that he loves ViM, though he wished it had a built in spell checker.
          >
          > I mentioned how he could set up a small macro, (Amongst other things)
          > to have whatever he was working on, spell checked. He of course knew
          > this being a big ViM fan, but said he wished there was something
          > like a /SPELL implemented. Has anything like this been looked into
          > or not implemented for any reason?

          You could use aspell within vim. i have added something like

          map ^T :w!<CR>:!aspell -d german check %<CR>:e! %<CR>

          to my .vimrc

          now, when i hit <Ctrl-T>, aspell is started within vim.
          it really works nice!

          hope this helps,
          heiko