Re: bell anyone

  • Bruce Mellows
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      Under Windows 2000, the "default beep" that is used by Vim (both console
      and gui) corresponds to the setting for "Default Beep" in the sounds
      control panel.

      You probably have "none" as its value - change that - hear beep.

      Robin Becker wrote:

      >I'm using win2k on a Dell with vim 6.1. I can't seem to get a beep for
      >any error.
      >
      >I checked my errorbells, visualbell and t_vb settings and I believe I
      >have these right. A colleague suggests that it's because I have a sound
      >card and that it's a hardware issue.
      >
      >I tested with tk's bell command and that also doesn't make any noise.
      >Certainly the speakers make subliminal noises when I use explorer to
      >move around so they certainly work.

    • Robin Becker
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        In message <BAY2-DAV56frBImmMLD00005c92@...>, Tim Chase
        <gumnos@...> writes
        >> I have something called Bell in my sounds/sound events but no "Default
        >> Bell" or "Default Beep". The bell event is mapped to ding.wav which is
        >> the sound that I used to hear.
        >
        >Under
        >
        >Start | Settings | Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia
        >
        >There should be a setting for "Default Beep"
        >
        >The sound mapped here is saved in the registry in one of these keys:
        >
        >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Current
        >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Default
        >HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Current
        >HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Default
        >
        >This is the sound played for the gvim bell. If you don't have a "Default
        >Beep" something's gone wrong with your Win2k install or something else has
        >removed it from the registry.
        >
        >-tim
        I don't have these keys, either on my home machine or on the one at
        work. Probably "Something Else" has removed it. Under "Event Labels" I
        do have a .Default which has the default value "Default Beep".

        Clearly as in so many other cases the stupid registry is horribly broken
        as a source of information. Relying on the Windows registry is like
        house building on sand.

        On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
        .Default/.Default
        /.Current
        to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default

        with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
        control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
        a bell in GVim.

        There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
        modern OS.
        --
        Robin Becker
      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2003
          > On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
          > .Default/.Default
          > /.Current
          > to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default
          >
          > with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
          > control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
          > a bell in GVim.
          >
          > There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
          > modern OS.

          Well, it does work fairly well...for some reason, this regularly availble
          key (it should be there after a fresh install) got hosed on your box.
          Shouldn't go blaming the OS for something most likely bungled by a
          third-party app (or dare I say user? ;-) Though you sound savvy enough to
          not go around deleting random reg. keys)

          Additionally, you can change this value now so if you like something other
          than the ding.wav, you can have your choice of sfx. (though it percolates
          throughout the system as the default ding)

          -tim
        • Robin Becker
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2003
            In article <BAY2-DAV67BzaqtESe800006820@...>, Tim Chase
            <gumnos@...> writes
            >> On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
            >> .Default/.Default
            >> /.Current
            >> to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default
            >>
            >> with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
            >> control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
            >> a bell in GVim.
            >>
            >> There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
            >> modern OS.
            >
            >Well, it does work fairly well...for some reason, this regularly availble
            >key (it should be there after a fresh install) got hosed on your box.
            >Shouldn't go blaming the OS for something most likely bungled by a
            >third-party app (or dare I say user? ;-) Though you sound savvy enough to
            >not go around deleting random reg. keys)
            >
            >Additionally, you can change this value now so if you like something other
            >than the ding.wav, you can have your choice of sfx. (though it percolates
            >throughout the system as the default ding)
            >
            >-tim
            ..... I'm sure I didn't delete that key, but I notice several other apps
            have been scribbling into that area. As for the OS, it's the OS that
            makes the use of complex data structures to describe simple things.
            --
            Robin Becker