bell anyone

  • Robin Becker
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2003
      I'm using win2k on a Dell with gvim 6.1. I can't seem to get a beep for
      any error.

      I checked my errorbells, visualbell and t_vb settings and I believe I
      have these right. A colleague suggests that it's because I have a sound
      card and that it's a hardware issue.

      I tested with tk's bell command and that also doesn't make any noise.
      Certainly the speakers make subliminal noises when I use explorer to
      move around so they certainly work.
      --
      Robin Becker
    • Bruce Mellows
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2003
        Under Windows 2000, the "default beep" that is used by Vim (both console
        and gui) corresponds to the setting for "Default Beep" in the sounds
        control panel.

        You probably have "none" as its value - change that - hear beep.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2003
          In message <BAY2-DAV56frBImmMLD00005c92@...>, Tim Chase
          <gumnos@...> writes
          >> I have something called Bell in my sounds/sound events but no "Default
          >> Bell" or "Default Beep". The bell event is mapped to ding.wav which is
          >> the sound that I used to hear.
          >
          >Under
          >
          >Start | Settings | Control Panel | Sounds and Multimedia
          >
          >There should be a setting for "Default Beep"
          >
          >The sound mapped here is saved in the registry in one of these keys:
          >
          >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Current
          >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Default
          >HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Current
          >HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\.Default\.Default
          >
          >This is the sound played for the gvim bell. If you don't have a "Default
          >Beep" something's gone wrong with your Win2k install or something else has
          >removed it from the registry.
          >
          >-tim
          I don't have these keys, either on my home machine or on the one at
          work. Probably "Something Else" has removed it. Under "Event Labels" I
          do have a .Default which has the default value "Default Beep".

          Clearly as in so many other cases the stupid registry is horribly broken
          as a source of information. Relying on the Windows registry is like
          house building on sand.

          On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
          .Default/.Default
          /.Current
          to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default

          with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
          control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
          a bell in GVim.

          There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
          modern OS.
          --
          Robin Becker
        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2003
            > On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
            > .Default/.Default
            > /.Current
            > to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default
            >
            > with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
            > control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
            > a bell in GVim.
            >
            > There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
            > modern OS.

            Well, it does work fairly well...for some reason, this regularly availble
            key (it should be there after a fresh install) got hosed on your box.
            Shouldn't go blaming the OS for something most likely bungled by a
            third-party app (or dare I say user? ;-) Though you sound savvy enough to
            not go around deleting random reg. keys)

            Additionally, you can change this value now so if you like something other
            than the ding.wav, you can have your choice of sfx. (though it percolates
            throughout the system as the default ding)

            -tim
          • Robin Becker
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2003
              In article <BAY2-DAV67BzaqtESe800006820@...>, Tim Chase
              <gumnos@...> writes
              >> On the home machine (after reading the email) I have added
              >> .Default/.Default
              >> /.Current
              >> to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/AppEvents/Schemes/Apps/.Default
              >>
              >> with default value "Default Beep". And after selecting this in the
              >> control panel sound events pane and changing to ding.wav, I can now get
              >> a bell in GVim.
              >>
              >> There has to be a better way to get such simple things to work in a
              >> modern OS.
              >
              >Well, it does work fairly well...for some reason, this regularly availble
              >key (it should be there after a fresh install) got hosed on your box.
              >Shouldn't go blaming the OS for something most likely bungled by a
              >third-party app (or dare I say user? ;-) Though you sound savvy enough to
              >not go around deleting random reg. keys)
              >
              >Additionally, you can change this value now so if you like something other
              >than the ding.wav, you can have your choice of sfx. (though it percolates
              >throughout the system as the default ding)
              >
              >-tim
              ..... I'm sure I didn't delete that key, but I notice several other apps
              have been scribbling into that area. As for the OS, it's the OS that
              makes the use of complex data structures to describe simple things.
              --
              Robin Becker