Integration of vim into IDE (eclipse)

  • Alena Laskavaya
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hello!
      (I am writing first time to this news group.)

      I have a problem... I started using Eclipse java IDE
      for java development and it is great, except their
      editor, which is really suxx,
      especially after using vim for 7 years.
      In general Eclipse allow to substitute their editor
      to external and I am sure vim has something that
      allows
      integrate it as embedded editor (some external command
      coming from socket??)
      I was doing some research on internet trying to find
      soltion for that (vim-eclipse integration)
      but I found nothing. If anyone did anything like
      that before please help me.

      Alena

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Niklas Koponen
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 11:20 PM
        On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 07:38:31AM -0700, Alena Laskavaya wrote:
        > Hello!
        > (I am writing first time to this news group.)
        >
        > I have a problem... I started using Eclipse java IDE
        > for java development and it is great, except their
        > editor, which is really suxx,
        > especially after using vim for 7 years.
        > In general Eclipse allow to substitute their editor
        > to external and I am sure vim has something that
        > allows
        > integrate it as embedded editor (some external command
        > coming from socket??)
        > I was doing some research on internet trying to find
        > soltion for that (vim-eclipse integration)
        > but I found nothing. If anyone did anything like
        > that before please help me.

        I did some searching a while ago and found nothing. I found a few
        keyboard emulations but that is not what I want. I want vim as the
        editor.

        I'm also intrested in a solution.

        -Niklas

        --
        Niklas Koponen | Hietapellontie 3 B 7 | niklas.koponen@...
        +358 40 757 1459 | 02400 KIRKKONUMMI | http://www.iki.fi/niklas.koponen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4 1:29 PM
          > On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 07:38:31AM -0700, Alena Laskavaya wrote:
          > > Hello!
          > > (I am writing first time to this news group.)
          > >
          > > I have a problem... I started using Eclipse java IDE
          > > for java development and it is great, except their
          > > editor, which is really suxx,
          > > especially after using vim for 7 years.
          > > In general Eclipse allow to substitute their editor
          > > to external and I am sure vim has something that
          > > allows
          > > integrate it as embedded editor (some external command
          > > coming from socket??)
          > > I was doing some research on internet trying to find
          > > soltion for that (vim-eclipse integration)
          > > but I found nothing. If anyone did anything like
          > > that before please help me.
          >
          > I did some searching a while ago and found nothing. I found a few
          > keyboard emulations but that is not what I want. I want vim as the
          > editor.
          >
          > I'm also intrested in a solution.
          >
          > -Niklas
          > >
          > > Alena

          I haven't used that particular IDE (eclipse) before, but I have experienced
          success with many other IDEs, which usually provide an option for an
          external editor, by providing a batch file, or shell script, that launches
          gvim with the file and line number, using the --servername option

          for example on MS-windows you can tell the IDE that your "external editor"
          is

          gviml.bat

          where the contents of gviml.bat are:

          start c:\progra~1\vim\vim61\gvim --servername %1 --remote-silent %2
          start c:\progra~1\vim\vim61\gvim --servername %1 --remote-send %3G

          this way the gvim will be launched if it isn't open already, else it will
          just gain focus and go the line number specified by the IDE (usually for
          build error messages)