launching a remote vim without any file

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hello,

      I've just read :h client-server, and I cannot find the answer to the
      following question. How can I launch gvim the following way:
      - if it is the first one, then it is created
      - if a gvim already exists, then reuse it.

      I tried using the --servername option, but it seems it requires a
      --remote-something. However I do not want to open any file or anything,
      so what --remote should I use ?

      (what I'm really looking for is something of the form:
      alias g='gvim --servername MY_GVIM --remote???'
      that I can use either by doing
      and getting a gvim, or
      g foo.txt
      and editing foo.txt in the existing gvim)

      Thanks,

      Alan Schmitt

      --
      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.