positioning in a vim file from another window

  • Eric Winger
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
      My coworker & I are debating whether vim can do this emacs thing. He thinks
      vim can, I'm not convinced.

      In general, does vim have the capability to reposition another buffer and move
      to that position in the other buffer? (Or is window the correct term)

      Here's two examples from emacs I'm thinking of:
      * I can open a buffer list in emacs navigate to a line in the buffer list,
      press Enter or o and the alternate buffer will open and put me in that
      buffer.

      * I can do a 'grep' or Mx list-matching-lines and get a nice little buffer of
      all matching lines in the current buffer. From which I can press Enter and be
      taken to that line in the other buffer.

      Thanks,

      eric
    • Dan Sharp
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
        Eric Winger wrote:
        > My coworker & I are debating whether vim can do this emacs thing. He thinks
        > vim can, I'm not convinced.
        >
        > In general, does vim have the capability to reposition another buffer and move
        > to that position in the other buffer? (Or is window the correct term)

        Yes, it can. The immediate example is quickfix mode, where the quickfix
        windows contains compiler output, and clicking / hitting enter on one of
        the lines will jump you to the corresponding file and line (and column,
        if that much info is available).

        See :he quickfix

        Look on www.vim.org for scripts like BufExplorer.

        > * I can do a 'grep' or Mx list-matching-lines and get a nice little buffer of
        > all matching lines in the current buffer. From which I can press Enter and be
        > taken to that line in the other buffer.

        The :grep command does just that. Run :grep <pattern> to find the
        matching lines. The command :cwindow will open the quickfix window to
        show the list of matches, and clicking / hitting enter on a line will
        open the matching file in a new window and jump you to the matching line.

        See :he :grep

        Dan Sharp
      • Pavel Tavoda
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
          Generally I don't know, however for grep like positioning
          and error positioning here is some support;
          :help grep
          :help quickfix
          :help colder

          Pavel

          Eric Winger wrote:

          >My coworker & I are debating whether vim can do this emacs thing. He thinks
          >vim can, I'm not convinced.
          >
          >In general, does vim have the capability to reposition another buffer and move
          >to that position in the other buffer? (Or is window the correct term)
          >
          >Here's two examples from emacs I'm thinking of:
          >* I can open a buffer list in emacs navigate to a line in the buffer list,
          >press Enter or o and the alternate buffer will open and put me in that
          >buffer.
          >
          >* I can do a 'grep' or Mx list-matching-lines and get a nice little buffer of
          >all matching lines in the current buffer. From which I can press Enter and be
          >taken to that line in the other buffer.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >eric

        • Eric Winger
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
            Excellent! The grep thing works neatly.

            Now can one do the equivalent of opening a directory in emacs and allow quick
            selections in the quickfix window?

            I tried loading up the minibuffer. But it doesn't seem to work. I tried
            putting the .vim in my vim61/ftplugins directory. It didn't open
            automagically. I then tried :source mini... but that didn't seem to open
            anything either.

            But I'm not sure that this will do what I was talking about. Where, in effect,
            I can dump the output from a ls to the quickfix window and then scroll & open
            new buffers from that.

            Any ideas?

            thx

            eric

            On Wednesday 02 April 2003 09:43 am, Dan Sharp wrote:
            > Eric Winger wrote:
            > > My coworker & I are debating whether vim can do this emacs thing. He
            > > thinks vim can, I'm not convinced.
            > >
            > > In general, does vim have the capability to reposition another buffer and
            > > move to that position in the other buffer? (Or is window the correct
            > > term)
            >
            > Yes, it can. The immediate example is quickfix mode, where the quickfix
            > windows contains compiler output, and clicking / hitting enter on one of
            > the lines will jump you to the corresponding file and line (and column,
            > if that much info is available).
            >
            > See :he quickfix
            >
            > > Here's two examples from emacs I'm thinking of:
            > > * I can open a buffer list in emacs navigate to a line in the buffer
            > > list, press Enter or o and the alternate buffer will open and put me in
            > > that buffer.
            >
            > Look on www.vim.org for scripts like BufExplorer.

            > > * I can do a 'grep' or Mx list-matching-lines and get a nice little
            > > buffer of all matching lines in the current buffer. From which I can
            > > press Enter and be taken to that line in the other buffer.
            >
            > The :grep command does just that. Run :grep <pattern> to find the
            > matching lines. The command :cwindow will open the quickfix window to
            > show the list of matches, and clicking / hitting enter on a line will
            > open the matching file in a new window and jump you to the matching line.
            >
            > See :he :grep
            >
            > Dan Sharp
          • Dan Sharp
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2003
              Eric Winger wrote:
              > Excellent! The grep thing works neatly.
              >
              > Now can one do the equivalent of opening a directory in emacs and allow quick
              > selections in the quickfix window?

              It doesn't use the quickfix window, but just doing
              :e .
              or
              :Explore
              will bring up the file explorer. Look at
              :he file-explorer
              for help on using it, including keeping it open while opening files into
              new windows.

              > I tried loading up the minibuffer. But it doesn't seem to work. I tried
              > putting the .vim in my vim61/ftplugins directory. It didn't open
              > automagically. I then tried :source mini... but that didn't seem to open
              > anything either.
              >
              > But I'm not sure that this will do what I was talking about. Where, in effect,
              > I can dump the output from a ls to the quickfix window and then scroll & open
              > new buffers from that.
              >
              > Any ideas?

              It looks like you got minibufexplorer, but you want just plain
              BufExplorer by Jeff Lanzarotta (or Hari Krishna Dara's SelectBuf
              script). They open a buffer with a list of the currently available
              buffers, and clicking on an item in the list will jump you to that buffer.

              In fact, to see them all working together, you may want to look at the
              WinManager plugin. It sets up an IDE-like environment with the file
              explorer and buffer explorer always open on the left side. See the
              screenshot at
              http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~srinath/vim/snapshot2.JPG for an example.

              Dan Sharp