Autocommands: 'setfiletype' and 'e ++enc=cp866'

  • Valery Kondakoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2003
      Hello, Antoine!

      Saturday, March 29, 2003, you wrote to me:

      >> au BufRead golded.msg setf mail | silent execute 'edit ++enc=cp866'
      >>
      >> After restarting VIM and opening 'golded.msg' it was found, that
      >> file was opened with fileencoding set to 'cp866' and filetype set to
      >> 'mail'. But the file is not 'colorized' at all.
      >>
      >> The file opens colorized if I change the aforementioned 'au'-line
      >> like this:
      >>
      >> au BufRead golded.msg silent execute 'edit ++enc=cp866' | setf mail

      AJM> What happens if you omit the :exe 'edit ++enc=cp866' altogether?

      AJM> If the file is colorized in that case, it means :e ++enc=cp866 removes the
      AJM> highlighting; if it isn't, it means the highlight groups were not identified
      AJM> when Vim thought the file was in a different encoding.

      Yes, when there is only 'au BufRead golded.msg setf mail', the file is
      colirized properly. When I add '++enc' stuff: 'au BufRead golded.msg
      setf mail | silent execute edit ++enc=cp866' - the file is not
      colorized at all. But if I execute this command: 'set syntax?' I'll
      receive 'mail' answer.

      The highliting of files is not removed if I just execute ":e
      ++enc=xxx" from command line. This happens only when it was executed
      as autocommand.

      So the question is - _why_ ':exe edit ++enc=xxx' removes the
      highlighting, when executed from autocommand? Is this normal?

      Valery Kondakoff
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru (Ne Bey Kopytom)
      http://www.nbk.orc.ru/mtb (MTB riding in Moscow)

      np: Space Safari - Be Alright (Soul)