alternate buffers

  • Michael P. Soulier
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
      People,

      When I load up several files on the command line, and then switch to
      another buffer by, say, :b4, if I then try to go to the alternate buffer
      (which I want to be the one that I was just in), I'm told that there is no
      alternate buffer.
      Is there a reason why it doesn't simply use the last buffer you were in?
      That'd be great from my perspective.

      Thanks,
      Mike

      --
      Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@...>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
      of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2003
        Michael P. Soulier wrote:
        > People,
        >
        > When I load up several files on the command line, and then switch to
        > another buffer by, say, :b4, if I then try to go to the alternate buffer
        > (which I want to be the one that I was just in), I'm told that there is no
        > alternate buffer.
        > Is there a reason why it doesn't simply use the last buffer you were in?
        > That'd be great from my perspective.

        It works for me. Can you give a more explicit recipe for reproducing the
        problem? What is your OS and version of vim?

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Michael P. Soulier
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
          On 28/03/03 Benji Fisher did speaketh:

          > It works for me. Can you give a more explicit recipe for reproducing
          > the problem? What is your OS and version of vim?

          *sigh* I can't get it to happen at the moment. I'll try it tomorrow
          when I'm back at work, which is where it happened.

          Mike

          --
          Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@...>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
          of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
          HTML Email Considered Harmful: http://expita.com/nomime.html
        • Russell Shaw
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
            Michael P. Soulier wrote:
            > On 28/03/03 Benji Fisher did speaketh:
            >

            >> It works for me. Can you give a more explicit recipe for reproducing
            >> the problem? What is your OS and version of vim?
            >

            > *sigh* I can't get it to happen at the moment. I'll try it tomorrow
            > when I'm back at work, which is where it happened.

            gvim
            :e. // select file1
            :e. // select file2
            :ls // the buffer list shows there is no alternate file
          • Benji Fisher
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30, 2003
              Russell Shaw wrote:
              > Michael P. Soulier wrote:
              >
              >> On 28/03/03 Benji Fisher did speaketh:
              >>

              >>> It works for me. Can you give a more explicit recipe for
              >>> reproducing the problem? What is your OS and version of vim?
              >>

              >> *sigh* I can't get it to happen at the moment. I'll try it tomorrow
              >> when I'm back at work, which is where it happened.
              >

              > gvim
              > :e. // select file1
              > :e. // select file2
              > :ls // the buffer list shows there is no alternate file

              OK, I can see that problem. This does not sound like the original
              problem, and it probably has to do with the explorer plugin.

              --Benji Fisher
            • Michael P. Soulier
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
                On 30/03/03 Benji Fisher did speaketh:

                > OK, I can see that problem. This does not sound like the original
                > problem, and it probably has to do with the explorer plugin.

                I had a lot of problems like it today. Strangely enough, it only
                happens in gvim, not vim.

                All I did was load multiple files on the command-line. After using
                :b to switch to another buffer, there was no alternate.

                Platform: gvim on redhat 7.3
                Package: vim-X11-6.1-2

                :version
                VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 27 2002 18:17:04)
                Compiled by bhcompile@...
                Huge version with GTK-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
                +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
                +comments
                +cryptv +cscope +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -ebcdic +emacs_tags
                +eval
                +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path +folding
                -footer
                +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap
                +langmap
                +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu +mksession
                +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape +mouse_dec +mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm
                +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -osfiletype
                +path_extra
                +perl +postscript +printer +python +quickfix +rightleft -ruby
                +scrollbind
                +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary
                +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects
                +title
                +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra
                +viminfo
                +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup +X11 +xfontset
                +xim
                +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
                system vimrc file: "/usr/share/vim/vim61/macros/vimrc"
                user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
                user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
                system gvimrc file: "/usr/share/vim/vim61/macros/gvimrc"
                user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
                system menu file: "/usr/share/vim/vim61/menu.vim"
                fall-back for $VIM: "/usr/share/vim"
                Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK
                -I/usr/include/g
                tk-1.2 -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include
                -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/u
                sr/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/usr/lib/gnome-libs/include
                -I/usr/
                include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/include/orbit-1.0
                -I/usr/include
                /gtk-1.2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -O2 -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -D_GNU_SOURCE
                -D_FILE
                _OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/X11R6/include -fno-strict-aliasing
                -I/usr/lib/perl5/5
                .6.1/i386-linux/CORE -I/usr/include/python1.5
                Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim
                -L/usr/lib
                -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi
                -lXext -rdyna
                mic -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl
                -lgdk_imlib -lgtk
                -lgdk -lgmodule -ldl -lXi -lXext -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd
                -laudiofile -ldb1
                -lglib -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ldl -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib
                /usr/lib/perl5/5.
                6.1/i386-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
                -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-linux/CO
                RE -lperl -ldl -lcrypt -lutil -L/usr/lib/python1.5/config -lpython1.5
                -lieee -ld
                l -lpthread -lm -rdynamic

                Mike

                --
                Michael P. Soulier <michael_soulier@...>, 613-592-2122 x2522
                SME Solutions, Mitel Networks Corporation
                of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix

                --
                Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@...>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
                of nerd-like effort." -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix
                HTML Email Considered Harmful: http://expita.com/nomime.html
              • Dan Sharp
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Russell Shaw wrote:
                  > Michael P. Soulier wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 28/03/03 Benji Fisher did speaketh:
                  >>

                  >>> It works for me. Can you give a more explicit recipe for
                  >>> reproducing the problem? What is your OS and version of vim?
                  >>

                  >> *sigh* I can't get it to happen at the moment. I'll try it tomorrow
                  >> when I'm back at work, which is where it happened.
                  >

                  > gvim
                  > :e. // select file1
                  > :e. // select file2
                  > :ls // the buffer list shows there is no alternate file

                  The file explorer is what is messing you up. When you do e. and then
                  select a file, the alternate buffer is the file explorer buffer. If you
                  do :ls! you will see the file explorer buffer marked as the alternate
                  buffer, but also marked as 'unlisted', which is why it doesn't show up
                  under normal :ls .

                  Dan Sharp