Problem with Install...

  • david@dsemail.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      I succeeded in getting all the way through the compile (hurray!) but there
      seems to be something amiss. Can I get some help? I read all the FAQs and
      reviewed the archives before asking here. Below I present to you two
      sections. 1. SUMMARY and 2. DETAILS.

      1. SUMMARY ---------------------
      I'm not a unix guru. I'm not admin so I'm building locally. I'm running in
      AIX 4.3.3.0 . The "cc" command says "C for AIX Compiler, Version 5". We
      have a fairly "tight" admin policy... we don't even have gzip installed. I
      had to unzip the files in windoz and re-tar them to move them to unix. The
      whole thing seemed to compile ok but it failed partway through the "make
      test". The primary problem is most likely the lack of autoconf and my lack
      of understanding how to proceed without it.

      I *seem* to have a functional copy of vim, but it messes up my colors, and
      it'd be nice to know what the "problem" is with the "make test". Also, I'd
      like to know how to compile with different options... any help would be
      appreciated.

      2 DETAILS ----------------------

      Here's the steps I took:

      1. Re-tarred files in Windoz so I could transfer to Unix. FTP over binary
      mode. This produces a bunch of ^M in the files, but FTP in ASCII mode
      doesn't work at all for the tar file.

      2. Did a chmod 755 on everything cuz I didn't know which files had to be
      executable.

      3. Bunch of ^M in the files. Caused lotsa problems. Wrote a script to
      take the ^M out of all files (except for the gif and png files).

      4. uncommented "#prefix" in Makefile so it would do a local compile (as per
      instructed in usr_90.txt)

      5. make wouldn't work. I don't have autoconf.

      6. The Makefile says "If you don't have autoconf, use the existing
      configure script". But the code doesn't do this automatically so I
      attempted to run it. Didn't work. I copyed src/auto/configure up one level
      to the src directory. It worked from there. So I ran "configure" from the
      src directory. This *seems* to work in that it doesn't blow up.

      7. Run "make". *Seems* to work.

      8. Run "make test" -- fails partway through. vim actually comes up, but it
      fails on one of the tests.

      9. The following is the test results in vim

      STARTTEST
      :" Write a single line to test.out to check if testing works at all.
      :%d
      athis is a test^[:w! test.out
      :" Create small.vim and tiny.vim empty, create mbyte.vim to skip the test.
      0D:w! small.vim
      :w! tiny.vim
      ae! test.ok
      w! test.out
      qa!
      ^[:w! mbyte.vim
      :" If +multi_byte feature supported, make mbyte.vim empty.
      :if has("multi_byte") | sp another | w! mbyte.vim | q | endif
      :" If +eval feature supported quit here, leaving tiny.vim and small.vim
      empty.
      :" Otherwise write small.vim to skip the test.
      :if 1 | q! | endif
      :w! small.vim
      :" If +windows feature not supported :sp will fail and tiny.vim will be
      :" written to skip the test.
      :sp another
      :wq! tiny.vim
      :qa!
      ENDTEST

      Pattern not found: ^STARTTESTj:set ff=unix cpo-=A:.,

      10. After exiting vim from the test, the screen stays red with white font
      with a blue "VIM" status bar (ie my colors are messed up), and I get this:

      diff: test.out: A file or directory in the path name does not exist.

      test1 FAILED - Something basic is wrong

      Stop.

      Stop.
      -> (command prompt)

      11. I check and the /src/testdir/test.log is basically empty. Note that
      other vim features seem to work ie "vim -y" starts a user interface. But
      gvim was not created.

      I'd like to know if its feasable/practical to do this without autoconf. Any
      advice would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      David