Re: runaway vim processes

  • Daniel Elstner
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2, 2003
      On Son, 2003-03-02 at 09:54, Sean Richards wrote:
      > Daniel Elstner wrote:
      >
      > > Any other people on this list willing to give the patch a try?
      >
      > Vim 6.1 (patches 1-290) on Slackware 8.1.
      > Patched successfully but still the same old problem appears :(

      Darn. Oh well. Could you please mail me the ./configure arguments you
      used, the output of ./configure, the arguments used for compiling and
      linking (:version tells you), plus the output of 'ldd src/vim'? Hmm
      that's a lot, but nonetheless it'd be really helpful :)

      Thanks in advance,
      --Daniel
    • Daniel Elstner
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003

        thanks a lot for the feedback. It turned out to be indeed helpful, see
        below.

        On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 09:55, Sean Richards wrote:
        > Daniel Elstner wrote:
        > > Darn. Oh well. Could you please mail me the ./configure arguments you
        > > used, the output of ./configure, the arguments used for compiling and
        > > linking (:version tells you), plus the output of 'ldd src/vim'? Hmm
        > > that's a lot, but nonetheless it'd be really helpful :)
        >
        > As requested
        >
        > [1] ./configure arguments
        >
        > #!/bin/sh
        >
        > ./configure --enable-gui=gtk --with-features=huge --with-compiledby=sean@darkstar --enable-pythoninterp --enable-rubyinterp --enable-cscope
        >
        > [2] output from configure

        (It's probably not the issue but nonetheless a good idea to
        rm src/auto/config.cache before reconfiguring. Just in case.)

        [...]

        > [3] output from :version
        >
        > :version
        > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 3 2003 21:28:11)
        > Included patches: 1-290

        [...]

        > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
        > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X
        > 11R6/include -I/usr/include/python2.2 -pthread -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux

        That's fine, -pthread is there.

        > Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/
        > X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ld
        > l -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -Xlinker -export-dyna
        > mic /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/libruby.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm

        There's the bugger: -lpthread should not be there. Do

        rm src/vim
        rm src/src/auto/link.sed

        and try again. link.sh should print messages like "Trying to remove the
        pthread library..." and either "we don't need the pthread library!" or
        "we DO need the pthread library". Hopefully the first.

        With some luck you just had a stale link.sed in the tree, otherwise this
        will need further investigation. Please mail me your results in either
        case :)

        Thanks,
        --Daniel
      • Sean Richards
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003
          Daniel Elstner wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > thanks a lot for the feedback. It turned out to be indeed helpful, see
          > below.

          > > [3] output from :version
          > >
          > > :version
          > > VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002 Mar 24, compiled Mar 3 2003 21:28:11)
          > > Included patches: 1-290
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2
          > > -I/usr/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -I/usr/X
          > > 11R6/include -I/usr/include/python2.2 -pthread -I/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux
          >
          > That's fine, -pthread is there.
          >
          > > Linking: gcc -L/usr/X11R6/lib -rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -o vim -L/usr/lib -L/usr/
          > > X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lXt -lncurses -lgpm -ld
          > > l -L/usr/lib/python2.2/config -lpython2.2 -ldl -lpthread -lutil -Xlinker -export-dyna
          > > mic /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.6/i686-linux/libruby.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm
          >
          > There's the bugger: -lpthread should not be there. Do
          >
          > rm src/vim
          > rm src/src/auto/link.sed

          I had already done a 'make clean' so that should have been taken care
          of.

          > and try again. link.sh should print messages like "Trying to remove the
          > pthread library..." and either "we don't need the pthread library!" or
          > "we DO need the pthread library". Hopefully the first.

          I am sad to report that the output from link.sh includes the lines ...

          link.sh: Trying to remove the pthread library...
          link.sh: We DO need the pthread library.

          > With some luck you just had a stale link.sed in the tree, otherwise this
          > will need further investigation. Please mail me your results in either
          > case :)

          Cheers, Sean :)

          | All spelling errors are intentional and are there to show new |
          | and improved ways of spelling old words. |
        • Daniel Elstner
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 3, 2003
            Hey,

            I found some interesting information on the issue. This Debian bug
            report explains what's going on:

            http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2002/debian-glibc-200212/msg00347.html

            As mentioned in the mail, the problem with coroutines also applies to
            sigaltstack(). There seems to be only one way around the problem:
            simply don't use sigaltstack().

            The attached patch disables the alternative stack if compiling on Linux
            with pthreads, except for SIGSEGV. This is AFAIK the only signal for
            which the alternative stack is really necessary. Thus there shouldn't
            be a regression in functionality when switching to fixed-up pthreads
            some day.

            Regards,
            --Daniel